WHY IS MY CAR STALLING?

2000 Ford Taurus

getsomemofo2

May, 30, 2010 AT 3:39 PM

2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

my car started surgeing one day while driving, I installed a new egr sesor, spark plugs, fuel filter. Ran good for a week than check engine started flashing, drove fine but surging started again later. Than check engine came on and read to lean bank 1 and 2 so checked hoses was a leak in the pcv elbow. Replaced the elbow and pcv. After that ran really good better than ever but when I turned my ac on the car died also happens when I brake to stop and when I put the car in gear the rpms go up and down like its about to die. I replaced the idle air control and still happens. Alternator reads only putting out 36 volts I think the people said it is putting out weak signals but dont know if that is the problem what do you think?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

obxautomedic

May, 30, 2010 AT 4:00 PM

Ok, first off I hope that it's not putting out 36 Volts especially since your vehicle is a 12 Volt System. The Alternator should be putting out anywhere from 13.7 Amps up to 15.3 Amps any more and you will burn up a vehicles Battery. Any less and it well cause eletrical problems.

The only exception I can think of with the Alternator putting out 36 Volts would be if it is a Hybrid Vehicle and I am not sure about the charging systems in the hybrids.

Now other possibilities for the surg.

Vacuum Leaks - Other than the one found

Weak Fuel Pump or Fuel Pressure Regulator

Plugged Exhaust System Catalytic Converter - The exhaust system in your vehicle is designed to release exhaust gases from the engine to the rear of the car. This system is designed to have about 3 pounds of exhaust backpressure under full throttle. This means the engine should not have to push more than 3 pounds of pressure to release the exhaust at any given time. If a catalytic converter plugs or breaks apart it will plug the exhaust system causing an engine surge.

.