2000 FORD TAURUS CAR DIES WHEN IDLING

• mcauthen1972
  • 2000 Ford Taurus

2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 79709 miles

The check engine came on so I had someone read the codes. I do not remember the exact codes but there were three. Bank1, Bank2 and EGR Flow errors. I was told the Bank1 and Bank2 errors indicated a clogged catalytic converter. The car would idle rough and it got worse up to the point it would die. I took a look under the hood and discovered that the ninety degree piece of hose coming off the PVC valve was almost in two pieces. I replaced the hose and the valve and the problem seemed to go away. A few days later it died again while idling. Now it will idle fine until you turn the AC on, then it dies. The car is not running any hotter than usual. Can a clogged catalytic converter be diagnosed (by a non-mechanic)? I was told the car had two catalytic converters and I should replace both of them since I would not know which one it was. Is that true? Could the issues I described be caused by something else?

Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 8:40 PM

• BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_99387_7830a_thumbnail_7_1.jpg

very common issue
remove IAC valve and clean
or replace

Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 10:17 PM
  • mcauthen1972

I went to the local parts store and asked for an IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) and replaced it. Car is still acting the same. The car is idling around 600rpm. It will idle with the air on if the car is in neurtral. When you put it in drive, it dies. It will idle fine in neurtral and in drive without the A/C on (at around 600rpm). Looking at the diagram you sent, it appears that maybe I replaced the wrong part because it did not look like anything in the diagram. I have inserted a picture of what I replaced.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/529722_IAC_1.jpg

Is there something else I can try?

Friday, May 21st, 2010 AT 7:56 PM
  • BMRFIXIT

From the sound of it you have a vacuum leak
and need to have it checked
smoke test is your best bet

the picture you have listed is for the IAC valve

Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 5:55 AM
  • mcauthen1972

It was the mass air flow sensor.

Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 5:16 PM
  • BMRFIXIT

Thank you

Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 8:46 PM