COOLANT TANK OVERFLOWING

2000 Ford Taurus

lrusch

April, 18, 2009 AT 8:30 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 119553 miles

Whenever the temperature gauge reaches an ideal level, the antifreeze in the coolant tank overflows thows the top. The car hasn't overheated, there is no white smoke from the exhaust. The fan blower had not been on for a while until we unplugged the temperature sensor, the coolant went down instantly but the problem came back.(The heater doen't work, either, only blows cool air)One person says water pump, one says a radiator flush and change the thermostat and one says head gasket. Please help!

merlin2021

April, 18, 2009 AT 8:38 AM

Start with the cooler fan, you say it's not working? Also the cap on the bottle may be NG, if it doesnt hold the 16lbs of pressure, it will overheat, and you have overheating confused with a blown head gasket, if you get white smoke from the tailpipe, it's a blown head gasket! The heater cores on these are famous for clogging, so make sure the coolant level is right, and check the two hoses that go into the core, they should both be hot. If one is cold, the core is clogged, and needs to be replaced, I havent had much success flushing these out. Cooling fan and temp sensors are VERY important fix these first!

lrusch

April, 18, 2009 AT 9:52 AM

How do I know if the temperature sensor is bad?The gauge still reads all right in the car.I know when I unplugged it from its socket, the fan came on. Or is that how you know it's bad. Also, without the testing kit, is there any other way to find out if the tank cap is not up to pressure?Lastly, how long can I go with a clogged heated core, seeing I don't need to use teh heater anymore this season.

Coolant Drain and Refill
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD