COOLANT OVERFLOW

2000 Ford Taurus

ashbash

July, 30, 2008 AT 7:42 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

my ford taurus has been running great. The problem began when I came home, ran my groceries inside and returned to my car to notice a huge puddle of coolant on the ground. After a thorough check I could not identify were the leak was coming from. I took it to a mechanic and I had work done to repair it (new water pump, thermostat, repair head and replace head gaskets). The problem is still occuring. What is happening is I can be driving around, my car does not overheat, and then as soon as I stop and turn off the car the coolant is actually expelling from the coolant jug. You can see the coolant puddleing around the jug lid. I was told my the mechanic that the system must be overpressurizing but with the repairs I did he believed it should have fixed the problem. I have come to a stand still and no reputable dealer can give me an answer.

klshiel

July, 30, 2008 AT 7:51 AM

All the coolant is going to your overflow tank. The engine is not overheating. The first thing I would change is the radiator cap. The cap may be getting stuck open and it lets all the radiator fluid flow into tank when it shouldn't.

ashbash

July, 30, 2008 AT 8:16 AM

My vehicle does not have a radiator cap. The only cap is on the resevoir jug.

klshiel

July, 30, 2008 AT 8:37 AM

The cap on the jug can fail and not hold the pressure that it is supposed to. I'm thinking that this should leak when the car is running also. Next time you make a run before you shut the engine off pop the hood and see if the cap is leaking a little bit.

HPhillips

July, 30, 2008 AT 9:53 PM

If the tank is overfilled it will overflow. Be sure the coolant is not over the line which is about the middle of the tank.

ashbash

July, 31, 2008 AT 7:24 AM

The tank is definately not overfilled. The strangest part about it is that it only happens spontaneously. It could be fine for a couple of weeks and then one day, coolant everywhere. I am dealing with a ghost problem

klshiel

July, 31, 2008 AT 2:03 PM

That sounds like it may be caused buy a hose getting pinched. Its fine most of the time, but if you drive just right and something shifts just right the hose pinches and doesn't allow the fluid to spread where it should. Just a theory, but check that all the little coolant lines and hoses are run as straight as possible and nothing can shift too much.

Califord

August, 26, 2008 AT 4:20 PM

Hi I had the same problem. My car was overheating a bit so I bought some coolant and added it to the car. I drove it the other day and a big puddle of coolant was on the floor. Im thinking I may have overfilled the coolant.

Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Coolant Drain and Refill
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe