1997 FORD TAURUS BATTERY DRAIN

• Fnelson
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS

1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I am experiencing problems with my Taurus. When the vehicle sits for a couple of days, the battery is drained and I have to jump start the vehicle. I took it into a mechanic and he replaced the horn relay, but it didn't fix the problem. He advised that he was not able to pinpoint the problem. I was told by another mechanic that it could be the GEM Module, but I had that replaced several years ago. I was told that I'd be better off trying to replace the sensors that feed into the GEM Module, but am uncertain how many and how complicated this can be. Any suggestions?

Friday, December 14th, 2007 AT 3:30 PM

• Rasmataz

Remove the positive battery cable-now put a test light between the disconnected cable and the battery positive post-If the test light lits-you have a short somewhere in the electrical system. Start removing fuses one at a time-when the test light turns off you have found the trouble circuit.

Friday, December 14th, 2007 AT 3:40 PM