IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE

1996 Ford Taurus

cyberball26

July, 29, 2009 AT 5:52 PM

1996 Ford Taurus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus and when I put it in to gear it stalls. Is the Idle Air Control valve causing this? Because when I loosen it up the car goes in to gear find but when the Idle Air Control valve reseals it's self it stalls out.

July, 29, 2009 AT 6:05 PM

Open it up and cleani it

Here's how to clean the IAC valve:

Disconnect the air intake ductwork from the throttle body.

Start the engine, then increase and hold the idle speed to 1,000 to 1,500 rpm.

Spray the throttle cleaner or engine cleaner into the throat of the throttle body, aiming for the idle air bypass port (usually located on the side or top of the throttle body opening). Give this area a good dose of cleaner (about 10 second's worth).

Turn the engine off to allow the cleaner to soak into the IAC passageway.

Wait about three minutes.

Restart the engine, rev and hold at 1,000 to 1,500 rpm, and repeat the cleaning process again.

Turn the engine off again, and reattach the air intake ductwork to the throttle body.

Start the engine and rev and hold to 1,500 to 2,000 rpm until no white smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe.

If this fails to make any difference, you can remove the IAC valve from the throttle body and spray cleaner directly on the tip of the valve and/or into the ports in the throttle body. Let the cleaner soak awhile, repeat as needed, then reinstall the IAC valve, start the engine and run it at 1,500 to 2,000 rpm as before until no white smoke is seen in the exahust.

If the idle speed still surges after this, the IAC valve is defective and needs to be replaced.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_iac_valve_ford_9.jpg

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L