1996 Ford Taurus Car not starting

MILES ROBERTS
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
I had the engine block replaced at 138000 because of a cracked head gasket. The car has run great since then, except for it recently having trouble turning over. I switched out the battery which was two years old. That seemed to fix it for a while. Then the problem disappeared all together. I went out to start my car, but now it suddenly does not even turn over. I know it is not the battery. All my lights, instruments, and radio come on and my headlights do not dim when I attempt to turn it over. It just makes a subtle click. The car had a remote start installed, but it has never worked since I bought it. Could this be causing the problem? Also, the ignition switch will randomly ding if it is not turn in the perfect position. It is as if the key is still in the car. This leads me to believe that it may be the ignition switch. And another note: the check engine soon light is on and the code check says the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. I'm working on getting that fixed. Anyway, I would normally take it in to get it trouble-shot, but it will not start, even on a jump. I hope you have a simple solution, even if it's just one to replace a simple part or one to get it running so that I can get it a repair shop. THanks in advance for your insight.
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 11:59 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
From what you have stated, it does sound like the ignition switch may be going out. It could also be your starter though. Have you tested it?
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 12:10 AM
MILES ROBERTS
I have not. I'm unable to get it anywhere where I can. I could buy a tester, but I'm low on funds. I'm in college. Is there some home-grown way to check it? I heard you could turn the key to on and use a screwdriver to make the connection between the terminals on the starter. Does that work? If it does start, that means the starter is good. Where would I go from there?
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 12:16 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yes, the do-it-yourself method does work. If your starter is engaging then you can temporarily fix your problem so that you can at least drive your vehicle. Here is how to do it.
The large lead and the small wire connected to the starter are both positive. Connect a length of wire (from a toggle switch) to the small wire on the starter (this is the spade terminal with a brown plastic protective cover) and the other end to the positive terminal of battery. Ground the toggle switch to the battery. Run your toggle switch into the cockpit of the vehicle within reach of driver. The starter should turn over and start the engine when you flip/push the switch. Most auto part stores sell starter switches which are simply push buttons. You push in the button until the engine cranks over then release it. You still have to have the key in the ignition so noone can steal the vehicle. Remember to insulate any bare wire you may have.
So when you are done, you should have 2 wires. One ground wire coming from the temporary switch to the battery and one positive coming from the temp. Switch to the starter AND battery. Hope this helped.
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 12:31 AM
MILES ROBERTS
I'll give that a try soon and leave my results. Thanks for the help.
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 12:59 AM