ALTERNATOR

1996 Ford Taurus

ancote

December, 23, 2008 AT 10:29 PM

1996 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

I have this Taurus for 3 & haft years and I have to replace the alternator 3 times till now.
And now the same problem occur, the light gos un and down, so I did put my volt meeter on it while running and I can see the voltage going ul and down like it charge and stop.
Is there a proplem with the control box or what.
It is a 3 liters engine with 24 valves and it is a very hard time job to replace it, any sugestion please?

blackop555

December, 25, 2008 AT 5:09 PM

Have you ever replaced the battery during this? If the battery is bad the alternator could overheat from overcharging it.

Also with the alternator type in that car if you accelerate pedal to the floor alot with high rpms you can burn it out.

ancote

December, 25, 2008 AT 11:32 PM

Yes I did the first time, they replaced both batt & Alternator and it was burn again 11 month after.

I am 63 and I run this car very smootly hi hi time is pass for that kind of driving.

Thanks for help Andre

blackop555

December, 26, 2008 AT 7:48 AM

Have you ever tested the alternators to see what keeps failing on them in that case?

Are you going with top of the line replacements or cheap autopart store name brands?

ancote

December, 26, 2008 AT 11:41 AM

Not realy, it was change by the Ford dealer every time.
I always told them what happen with the bill so they can check more deeply the recurent problem.

I realy dont know what kind of alternator they are using but I dealer should go with the top quality I hope.
Andre

blackop555

December, 27, 2008 AT 8:50 AM

Yes they should be going with a higher quality one. I really would like to know what is wrong with them each time they go out before I go condeming one vs another.

Can you test the one you have now?

ancote

December, 28, 2008 AT 12:03 PM

I cant see it it is located under the motor on passager side, the only thing I did is to put a voltage tester on it and it reed between 12.30 to 14 volts.

Look like the regulator is going on and off all the time.
Andre

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX