Truck feels like brake is stuck on

CHAM
  • FORD RANGER
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger manual truck. Today when I went out to move the vehicle, I released the emergency brake and put the truck in reverse. It only moved 2 inches and then stopped. What could the issue be?
Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 AT 12:01 PM

STEFANGELA
Has the vehicle sat for a while? Front brakes binding or the rears? Does it have rear disk brakes or drum brakes?
If it has drums on the rear, try jacking it in the air remove the wheels and the drum. Inspect the internals. If you give me more info then I shall try to help more. Good luck.
-1
Monday, July 23rd, 2007 AT 8:09 PM
ROBDOGG35
  • 2002 FORD RANGER
I have 2002 ford ranger. I pushed the e-brake & pulled the release lever but the back brakes are still engaged. When driving its dragging & I smell the brakes burning. How do I get them 2 disengage?
Saturday, December 2nd, 2017 AT 2:51 PM (Merged)
Ford wrote the book on sticking parking brake cables. You can try flexing the cables where they come out of the rear brake backing plates while a helper holds the release handle. Since they applied, they are not rusted tight, ... Yet, and should release. Once they become rusted tight and won't move, you'll need an air-powered cutoff tool to cut them.

Look where the cables come out of the front end of the casings. If the cable is shiny for about 1/2" or more, that shows they are not fully retracted yet.

CUCCARO
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
Brakes problem
1998 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

After sitting for a few days my Ranger will start OK, the clutch works OK and trans goes into gear but the truck tries to move but will not. It seems to be that the left rear brake is stuck. I've backed off the brake adjustment as far as possible but cannot remove the drum to see if the problem is the parking brake or otherwise. How in the world do I get the drum off?
AMRAAM35
I am guessing your problem is with the parking brake side. If not, unscrew the brake line to bleed pressure. Get under there with a rubber mallet and try to hammer it off. Hard.

If its the parking brake side, your parking brake is taunt. Confirm the cable is released. Try to reverse. Get moving, and hit the breaks. Then try the mallet trick again. See if you can release the cord from somewhere along the path where it runs from the engine to the rear wheel to release the pressure.
CUCCARO
Thanks, The problem was in fact the left side parking brake. Truck would not move back, ahead, sideways, no way. I got the drum off by hammering on one side while prying on the other side. The "stuck" was inside housing. Cleaning and lube solved it. Thanks again.
Bill
BENBIGGERS
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
Brakes problem
1994 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive 62000 miles

Recently I purchased a Ranger which had been sitting for two years.
The front brakes will begin to drag when more than gentle pressure is applied. They will continue to drag until the truck is allowed to sit for an hour or so.
What is causing the brakes to drag?
-1
I need you to try something. Raise the vehicle and secure it. Spin the wheel and hit the brakes. If the wheel becomes unturnable and won't release, open the bleeder valve on the caliper. Does it allow the tire to release?

Let me know.