1998 FORD RANGER STUCK BRAKES

• cuccaro
  • 1998 Ford Ranger

Brakes problem
1998 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

After sitting for a few days my Ranger will start OK, the clutch works OK and trans goes into gear but the truck tries to move but will not. It seems to be that the left rear brake is stuck. I've backed off the brake adjustment as far as possible but cannot remove the drum to see if the problem is the parking brake or otherwise. How in the world do I get the drum off?

Saturday, June 21st, 2008 AT 10:06 AM

• amraam35

I am guessing your problem is with the parking brake side. If not, unscrew the brake line to bleed pressure. Get under there with a rubber mallet and try to hammer it off. Hard.

If its the parking brake side, your parking brake is taunt. Confirm the cable is released. Try to reverse. Get moving, and hit the breaks. Then try the mallet trick again. See if you can release the cord from somewhere along the path where it runs from the engine to the rear wheel to release the pressure.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 9:30 PM
  • cuccaro

Thanks, The problem was in fact the left side parking brake. Truck would not move back, ahead, sideways, no way. I got the drum off by hammering on one side while prying on the other side. The "stuck" was inside housing. Cleaning and lube solved it. Thanks again.
Bill

Thursday, June 26th, 2008 AT 8:56 AM