96 FORD RANGER::CRANK SENSOR

• Nick
  • 1996 Ford Ranger

I have a 1996 ford Ranger, 2WD, Standard, 4Cyl, 100K+

Yesterday I was stopped at a Stop sign, and when I started up again my truck acted as if it were not getting any fuel. Sputtered and then died. It would restart, but do the exact same thing again.

I had it towed to a mechanic, and he is teling me that it is ("he thinks") a "Bad Crank Sensor and it will cost around $500 to fix.&Quot;

I understand the crank sensor is used to send signals for firing, but should I question the $500 for this model truck? Is this reasonable?

Friday, November 3rd, 2006 AT 2:41 PM

• catch_15

The first thing to do would be to check the fuel pressure. If it is low then, the fuel pump has probably failed. It is always a good idea to exhast the least expensive possibilities first because if you go and spend $500 for something that doesn't fix it, you'll be kicking yourself. Have them run a fuel pressure test first.

Friday, November 3rd, 2006 AT 2:48 PM
  • Nick

Let's say that fuel pressure is good. It really is the "crank sensor". Is $500 what I should expect to pay to have one replaced on a Ford Ranger? Is this something I can do in my driveway?

Friday, November 3rd, 2006 AT 3:16 PM