96 ::CRANK SENSOR

1996 Ford Ranger

Nick

November, 3, 2006 AT 2:41 PM

I have a 1996 ford Ranger, 2WD, Standard, 4Cyl, 100K+

Yesterday I was stopped at a Stop sign, and when I started up again my truck acted as if it were not getting any fuel. Sputtered and then died. It would restart, but do the exact same thing again.

I had it towed to a mechanic, and he is teling me that it is (" he thinks" ) a " Bad Crank Sensor and it will cost around $500 to fix.&Quot;

I understand the crank sensor is used to send signals for firing, but should I question the $500 for this model truck? Is this reasonable?

catch_15

November, 3, 2006 AT 2:48 PM

The first thing to do would be to check the fuel pressure. If it is low then, the fuel pump has probably failed. It is always a good idea to exhast the least expensive possibilities first because if you go and spend $500 for something that doesn't fix it, you'll be kicking yourself. Have them run a fuel pressure test first.

Nick

November, 3, 2006 AT 3:16 PM

Let's say that fuel pressure is good. It really is the " crank sensor" . Is $500 what I should expect to pay to have one replaced on a Ford Ranger? Is this something I can do in my driveway?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet