93

1993 Ford Ranger

martellstrong

November, 21, 2006 AT 9:07 PM

I just purchased a 93 ranger. I had to tear the four wheel drive actuator appart and clean the armature to get it working. Now that it works, I sometimes hear a loud banging noise when I'm in four low. I don't think that it's the hubs. Could it be the differential or the transfer case?

rangermaniac

November, 22, 2006 AT 10:02 AM

Does it have the manual or auto locking hubs most likely it is your U joints they might be bad but if you notice it probably only does it when making a tight turn the u joints bind up then release but if they are bad meaning all the needle bearings are out of them then you need new ones but if they wwere never replaced you should do it anyways if you need to do thjat ask me because I have done them on Rangers probably like a dozen times and they are diffderent form many other vehicles

martellstrong

November, 22, 2006 AT 2:45 PM

It's got auto locking hubs. I've got the Chilton's manual for the truck. By the way, it's useless as far as figuring out the four wheel drive actuator. I haven't been turning, at least not very sharp, when I hear the banging noise. I was, however, negotiating some rugged terrain which was giving my suspension a workout. I'm sure that the u joints were being contorted into all kinds of positions, so there is a good chance that they could have been making the noise.

So, what's different about the u joints on a Ranger?

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Wheel Bearing Replacement
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda