2004 Ford Ranger ENGINE MISS

RMT2323
  • 2004 FORD RANGER
In neutral or park, engine starts missing @ 3000 rpm. Will not run above that rpm. Take truck on road and it performs perfect; no miss, no hesitation, accelerates right through to 5500 rpm.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 11:15 AM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you can you tell me your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

Also, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 6:44 PM
RMT2323
It is a 3.0 litre and the 8th digit of the vin is the letter U. Also, is it possible there is a rev limiter for when the truck is not in gear?
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 7:24 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for getting back with me.

Did you have time today to perform the checks for codes, battery etc?
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 10:18 PM
RMT2323
I did have the battery and altenator checked and they were both functioning prorerly. The check engine light did not come on and there were no codes.
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 8:57 AM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info

Okay, so if I understand you correctly you had the battery and alternator checked and both are good.

The light does not have to be on to have thrown a code. So you check the codes with a scanner though and no codes were thrown.

Is this when the engine is still cold, say the first start of the day or does it do it all the time even when the car is warmed up?

At 60,000 miles, you are supposed to replace: Air cleaner filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and a few other things, but those don't relate to your condition.

First, take a spray bottle of water and start the engine and mist the water all over the plug wires and see if it anything changes. Let me know.

Some of the things that can cause a rough idle are the throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor, a vacuum leak, the EGR valve.

My suggestion is to do the normal required maintenance above to include the wires. Look at each plug though to see how it looks and let me know.

Then answer the above it there is no change. Your thoughts?
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM
BMRFIXIT
*****************************************

Sorry I am here because of PM was sent to me
and this is what I think

It is very normal for the PCM to limit the RPM when no load reading
when RPM reach 3000 or above PCM looks for load
and since its in neutral or in park (load is very low if any )
PCM will shut down injectors to limit the RPM and protect the engine from internal damage
so I believe what you are experiencing is a normal operation
if it running and driving fine and no check engine light on
I would say all good and nothing to worry about
do you regular maintenance
and happy driving
+1
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 8:17 PM