Engine no power

BIGMIKEP69
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

Engine Performance problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

used to run great. A month ago fuel pump went out. Changed the pump, and the filter. Ran ok but check engine light comes on and code says bank 1 running too lean? What is that? Then yesterday the truck has no power at all no acceleration, got the hammer down to the floor and barely get to 40 mph. What is going on?

Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 9:02 PM

JAMES HARO

Have put a new ignition pack new plug wires new plugs oxygen sensors new temperature control sending unit new

Friday, September 29th, 2017 AT 8:12 AM
2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the problem is related, this is what happens when the MAF sensor is dirty and needs to be replaced. sometimes you can clean them but once it is this far gone its best to replace it. Here is a guide that will help you.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-mass-air-flow-sensor-maf

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/repair-lean-mixture-codes-p0171-or-p0174-on-some-manufacturers

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-has-low-power-output

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken

Saturday, September 30th, 2017 AT 4:55 PM
BDUNCAN86
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

I have a ford ranger that when I go up hills it losses power. The check engine has not came on and it doesnt sputter or anything. Its just as if the truck speed decreases. Please help.

Saturday, September 30th, 2017 AT 4:55 PM (Merged)

Have you checked fuel pump pressure? Have you checked the catalytic converter to see if it is plugging?

BDUNCAN86

He has had people tell him it could be the converter but others say no because the check engine is not on. He says that he changed the fuel filter. But he has not checked his fuel pressure

A partially plugged converter may not turn the light on. It should be checked as well as the fuel pressure.

DAVSOL
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

A SUPPOSIBLY MECHANIC REPLACED THE HEADS ON MY RANGER THE ACCELERATION AND POWER IS LOW I TOLD HIM HE DID IT WRONG BUT HE SAID HE DID IT RIGHT IF HE DID IT WRONG THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WOULD HAVE TURNED ON WHAT COULD BE WRONG?

+1
Saturday, September 30th, 2017 AT 4:56 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

If the cam timing is off it might not throw a code. Have the igniton timing checked to verify.

DELAROOO
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

My truck recently coded for bad O2 sensors and I had all of them replaced. After the O2 sensors were replaced, the vehicle now loses acceleration and does not get good gas mileage. When diving it often shifts suddenly from 2000 rpm to 2500 or suddenly loses all acceleration and starts to coast until it shifts and then gains power again. When on the highway, it doesn't coast, but if rpms drop below 2000 it will chug a bit. When idle it will also chug and run very rough, but only once in a while.

Lack of acceleration, chugging, hesitating, bogging etc. Could be caused by one of the following below.

Inspect and test all the following listed below and get back with some results

Oxygen sensor.
Catalytic converter.
Fuel injectors dirty/sticking.
Mass airflow sensor/Airflow meter.
Throttle position sensor.
Manifold absolute pressure sensor.
EGR Valve
Fuel pressure regulator leaking or defective fuel pump.
False air leakage.
Fuel contamination.
Foul/defective spark plugs.
Open spark plug wires.
Ignition coil/Coil packs defective.
Incorrect ignition timing.
Cap and rotor.

Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.

DFORNET
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

I have a 2000 Ranger XLT 4x4 with 250,000 miles. I took it to the shop to have the heads redone due to idle and driveability issues. First thing they did was to hook it up to a scanner (not the parts house generic) and it could not pull data from the factory side of the pcm. It only showed N/A for all the data streams. The mechanic took another computer (not for this model) and hooked it up. It displayed data as expected.

Is this a known issue with the Ford PCM's? Can I have the computer reflashed? Or do I have to replace the computer?

KHLOW2008

You can have the computer reflashed but if there is any internal fault with the hardware, it is not going to work.

I could not find anty TSB on such problems so I guess this is not a known problem.

CADIEMAN

Best thing would be to pick one up at a salvage yard. Most salvage yards will give a guarantee for 30 days at the part is good for a few more dollars. Good luck see you guys around

ADAM78
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

My truck started shaking and is has no power when starting from a stop. When I first press the gas it shakes and hardly wants to go. Eventually arond 40 or 50km h it seems to be fine. It also seems to lose power going up hills on the highway.
Any ideas?

SERVICE WRITER

Any check engine light? Any codes in the computer.

IF not hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see if the fuel pressure is dropping off while the symptoms are present.

ADAM78

Yes, Check engine light is on, haven't had it scanned yet. It just started yesterday.

SERVICE WRITER

Ok then that is where you need to start. Post back with the codes when you get them and we will see at that point.

ADAM78

The scanner pulled 10 codes. Do you find that a little odd? Everything from shift solenoids to o2 sensors.
P1409, p0155, p0141, p0135, p1451, p0760, p0755, p0750, p0753, p1747.
I think there has to be one thing causing all this, maybe electrical.

SERVICE WRITER

I would only find it odd if the light came on and all these codes were present. I don't if the light has been on and codes never checked over a period of time.

PErhaps there is a malfunction causing them all, but I doubt it. I'm more inclined to think there are multiple problems.

Three codes are probably related to a bad O2 sensor. Granted it may be a wiring or connector issure, but more likely a bad O2.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_forran_1.jpg

Four other codes are probably from the same issue in the transmission.

One code that is related to the evap system and another for the egr.

I suspect 4 different issues.

There are different ways to attack this.
I would record and clear the codes and go after them as they reappear.

JONNYBLADE
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

How do I fix a p0171 and p0174 codes, I have a 2000 ford ranger 113,000 miles total loss of power up hills, please help