I HAVE A 2000 RANGER XLT 4X4 WITH 250000 MILES

• dfornet
  • 2000 Ford Ranger

I have a 2000 Ranger XLT 4x4 with 250,000 miles. I took it to the shop to have the heads redone due to idle and driveability issues. First thing they did was to hook it up to a scanner (not the parts house generic) and it could not pull data from the factory side of the pcm. It only showed N/A for all the data streams. The mechanic took another computer (not for this model) and hooked it up. It displayed data as expected.

Is this a known issue with the Ford PCM's? Can I have the computer reflashed? Or do I have to replace the computer?

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 4:15 PM

• KHLow2008

You can have the computer reflashed but if there is any internal fault with the hardware, it is not going to work.

I could not find anty TSB on such problems so I guess this is not a known problem.

Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 5:17 PM
  • cadieman

Best thing would be to pick one up at a salvage yard. Most salvage yards will give a guarantee for 30 days at the part is good for a few more dollars. Good luck see you guys around

Friday, April 5th, 2013 AT 4:31 AM