1999 Ford Ranger Misfire on number 1 cylinder

ROLLAND REED
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
I had a message of a misfire on my number 1 cylinder and thought it was old plug wires. I got a tune up replacing wires and plugs and took it home and then eng. Light came back on and same message came up. Firestone looked at it for the day and said I have a bent valve. I have been driving it for a month now after that and the engine light will come on and off and the truck will run smooth then run rough at times. Does this sound like a bent valve? If it was bent would it not be doing it all of the time?
Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 4:59 PM

If you have a bent valve, it would run bad all of the time. You would also hear it.

If the #1 cylender is the constant problem, have you checked to make sure the fuel injector is working properly? Also, make sure the crank sensor is clean and tight.

Check those things and let me know what you find. Also, if you have other specific questions, let me know.

Saturday, December 12th, 2009 AT 9:50 PM