1999 FORD RANGER ENGINE REVS

• Kbones
  • 1999 FORD RANGER

1999 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 237, 00 miles

My engine revs out 50% of the time when I shift or push in the clutch to stop. I cant find a vacuum leak. Just replaced the maf sensor and fuel filter. If I turn it off & back on it stops for a little bit. But it is getting worse.

Wednesday, April 7th, 2010 AT 6:37 PM

• Racefan966

Is the check engine light on? What have you checked?

Thursday, April 8th, 2010 AT 9:37 AM
  • Kbones

Yes the check engine light is on and I got a code readout for either an EGR valve pressure sensor, EGR valve, or blocked EGR system. I changed the valve pressure sensor and it went away for 24hrs then came back. My problem is that the downtube that goes from my EGR valve to the exhaust manifold is rusted tight and I, m afraid to snap it off. Could this be the problem or is it just emmissions control issue that I would be wasting my time on.

Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 8:03 AM
  • Racefan966

An egr valve if opening at the wrong time can cause the rpm to increase and surges and so on. Now can you include the code so I can look it up?

Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 11:06 AM
  • Kbones

I believe the code was 4022 if that doesnt sound right I will go back to autozone & have it read again. Thank You

Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 10:14 PM
  • Racefan966

Well if you don't mind that would be great as the code you gave don't come up. Thank you so much.

Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 AT 9:24 AM
  • Kbones

Ok the code is P0401.

Friday, April 23rd, 2010 AT 9:21 PM
  • Racefan966

You will probably find that the DPFE sensor is probably bad and keeping the EGR valve open. Now what I need you to do first is check out the EGR system. Look for any bad hoses at the egr the dpfe sensor (this controls the egr). Let me know what it all looks like and we will go from there. We first need to know that the vacuum lines and hoses for the egr system are good.

Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 9:17 AM
  • Kbones

Well I changed the dpfe sensor and found underneath the down tube on the egr valve a melted vacuum line. Fixed all that the check engine light went off and no more surges or engine revs. Thanks for the input. Have made another donation.

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 7:42 AM
  • 2CarPros Chris

Thank you for your donation, we are glad to be able to help and solve your problem!

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 4:05 PM