1997 Ford Ranger No Low Beam Headlight

DPS713
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
I have no low beam headlights, I have changed the Multi-Fuction Switch thats located on the column & also the Main Light Switch in the dash. The red/yellow wire is geting hot at the Main Light Switch connection. I really don't know what else to check.

Thanks For Your Help Advance, David
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 4:37 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi David,

Thank you for the donation.

When light switch is turned on, the Red/Black wire must be HOT, if not the switch is faulty.

If Red/Black is HOT, check fuse # 4 and # 8 ( 10 A fuse in underdash fuse box).

At the headlights if there is voltage to the White/Light Green and Dark Green/Light Green wires, the bulbs are bad.
+2
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 AT 11:49 AM
DPS713
Thanks for the replay, All Lights or working now. There was a fuse missing in slot 33 fuse box.
The only problem I'm having now is the Red/yellow wire going to the Light Switch will start getting hot after a few minutes when the lights or on. I have noticed that the Red/yellow wire at the pig tail going to the Light Switch the insulation has melted off (1/2").
Thanks for your help! David
+2
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 AT 4:11 PM
KHLOW2008
Fuse 33 is for the high beams.

When wires age, they tend to have higher resistance and this would result in them heating up. Ensure the wires clamped onto the terminals are tight and if the wire is old, you might have to consider replacing it. Ensure the terminals are tigh as well, a loose fitting would cause heat to build up.

One way of overcoming overheating of the headlight circuit and and prolonging the light switch life span is to install a relay and let it handle the high wattage rather than letting the high wattage go pass the light switch and wirings.
+2
Thursday, August 26th, 2010 AT 7:32 AM