1996 Ford Ranger check engine light

GRANDDADR
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
I own a 1996 Ford Ranger 4.0 liter V6, manual transmission that I pull behind my motorhome. At about 75000 miles the Check Engine light came on (and stays on). Local Ford Dealer tried about $300.00 worth of sensors, but after a few days the "check engine" light would come back on. Finally, they told me it would take "extensive diagnostic and repair charges" to repair the defect and suggested I might "drive it like it is". I have driven it for about 60000 miles since that time and the light still is on.

However! I spent a week in Estes Park, Colorado (at an elevation of 6800 feet and above) and after the second day the light went out and stayed out all the time I was there. When I returned home the lamp came back on after only one day. I went to the Ford place and told them about that. They suggested it "might be" a "pressure" sensor or "altitude" sensor, but couldn't be sure. They wanted another $300 or so to find out. I said no.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Ron
Thursday, June 5th, 2008 AT 4:14 PM

BMRFIXIT
It is very possible to be the MAP/MAS sensor
what is the code
Friday, June 6th, 2008 AT 8:28 PM
GRANDDADR
Thank you for your reply.

I no longer remember the codes given me by the Ford dealership 60000 miles ago. I tried to get Auto-Zone to read the codes, when I got back from Colorado, but they say my truck has a computer plug that does not match anything they have. Also, I have purchased two different "Code Readers" from different sources and neither of them would match the plug on my truck. I was told that Mazda intentionally put this plug on because Ford wanted to have the only reader that would fit.

I know this isn't a help, but I'm kind of "in a pickle".

There is one other thing that I have noticed the truck doing but I don't know if it's related or not, and I don't remember if it started doing this after the check engine light came on or not. It ONLY does this in the hot summer time (July or August) and after the truck warms up by driving it 8 or 10 miles with the air-conditioning on. When the engine idles down below 1500 RPM I hear a very low pitched "whistling" sound -- more like a "moaning" sound. The slower the engine idles the louder the moan. I raised the hood and it was coming from the air input duct work into the top of the engine. It's almost like a "vibration" because you can lay your hand on the duct work and feel it. Tapping the accelerator pedal will stop it until the engine idles down again. Naturally, during the normal course of driving the engine is usually above 1500 RPM and I never hear it -- only at stop signs or such.

Can that be related?

Thanks,
Ron
Saturday, June 7th, 2008 AT 4:41 PM
BMRFIXIT
Hi Ron
1996 should have the OBDII connector

codes for sure will help
you can check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold
check air filter
Saturday, June 7th, 2008 AT 8:14 PM