RANDOM STALLING

1995 Ford Ranger

2guys

April, 14, 2010 AT 2:32 PM

1995 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 308000 miles

2.3 liter dies randomly for no reason. I was having trouble 6 months ago and thought it was fixed but it is acting up again. Replaced fuel pump, fuel pump relay, inertia switch, fuel filter, ignition switch, maf sensor, iat sensor, idle air bypass valve and PCM all recently. Don't know what else it would be but crank sensor. If so where is it and how do you change it. It sometimes will start and die. It wouldn't start for a week and now is running fine again. Irritating because you never know if it is fixed.

F150

Fuel Pump Relay

May, 11, 2010 AT 2:21 PM

Hi 2guys,

Did you try to retrieve for trouble codes?
Is the Check Engine Light showing?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_EngComp95RangerFig01_1.jpg

The crank sensor is located at right front of engine.
Cam sensor is at top front of engine.

2guys

May, 12, 2010 AT 3:23 PM

Have had check engine light checked. The codes were bad iat sensor, bad maf sensor speed sensor fault and oxygen sensor fault. Replaced iat and maf. I know speed sensor or oxygen will not cause the vehicle to not run at all for no reason or not start and then out of the blue run fine. So I guess it has to be coil pack or crank or cam sensor. That is all that's left isn't it?

May, 12, 2010 AT 4:53 PM

A bad MAF and IAT can cause non starting issues. Get those checked first.

2guys

June, 22, 2010 AT 6:35 PM

I have been cursed with this problem since last October. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pump relay, inertia switch, ignition switch, MAF sensor, IAT sensor, and crankshaft position sensor and was still having the same problem. I FINALLY figured it out. One of the wires in the wiring harness on the inertia switch wasn't locked in place anymore and had fallen about half-way down the connector but never came out. This is always why stalling was worse with a passenger, since it is in the passenger floorboard. I glued the wire where it couldn't come out and it is doing fine.

June, 23, 2010 AT 9:08 AM

Cheers, glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Thank you for the input.

Have a nice day

jonnyrains

April, 11, 2014 AT 4:55 AM

I had that issue as well I found my EGR valve was bad. Had a lot of carbon built up and would stick the plunger inside. Also clean out your throttle body connected to the air intake. Carbon and sludge builds up in there as well

Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right