1994 Ford Ranger 4X4 does not engaged

NITTANITA
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
1994 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi

This is my third question I am writing about, never did received a answer on the second question. I check the module it check out good. I did the step like you told me to do. What is next to check?

Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 11:51 AM

RACEFAN966
OK sorry I did respond but you must of not recieved it for some reason anyway here is the next step. This test is done on the 5 pin harness at the module. You will unplug the 5 pin harnes and follow the instructions below and there is a pic of what pin is what ok. After the test let me know what you find so we can go to the next step.
1) connect ohm meter between term 1 and 2 and then press and hold the 4x4 switch and you should get 50 ohms.
2) connect ohm meter between term 1 and 3 and press the low range switch and you should get 50 ohms.
3) Now make a jumper wire that you can use to put between term 4 and a good ground, turn the key on engine off and the 4x4 in the instrument cluster and the low range 4x4 bar should light up. Turn key off and remove jumper wire.
4) Now connect the jumper wire between term 5 and ground and turn key on engine off the 4x4 in the instrument panel and the 4x4 bar should light up. Let me know what you find and and we will go to the next step after this.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_106.jpg

Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 8:52 PM
NITTANITA
I did the second step with the module. Check out good. I also took motor down, I had it hanging down someone press the 4x4 buttom. The motor spin, then I engage 4x4 manually by hand and front wheel still did not spin the truck was off the ground.
What next? Do you think this is something that can cost a lot of money.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 1:39 PM
RACEFAN966
Don't know if it will cost alot yet haven't found the problem yet. I do replace the 4x4 shift motors alot the one on the transfer case and they run about 150 anyway lets test the 8 pin connector at the motor I will walk you through the steps and include a pic so you know what pin is what ok.
1) key off connect your ohm meter between term 1 and ground (with automatic trans put in neutral) should read less then 50 ohm's.
2)Now connect you ohm meter between term 2 and 3 it should read between 200 to 350 ohms. Now repeat this step between terms 8 and then term 4 then 8 and 5 then 8 and 6 then 8 and 9 resistance should be between 200 and 350 ohms at each step. If not then the speed sensor needs to be replaced. Here is the pic for this test.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_113.jpg

Now it this pans out then here is a test on the the other 8 pin connector at the module.
1) Key off connect your volt meter between 8 and gound you should see battery voltage.
2)Now connect meter between term 7 and gound and turn key on should see battery voltage. Turn key off.
3) Set back to ohms and connect between term 6 and ground should be less then 10 volts. Now connect between term 4 and 5 should also be less then 10 ohms.
4)Connect between 3 and ground then between 2 and ground both should read 0 ohm.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic1_24.jpg

Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 9:55 AM
NITTANITA
Hi

Check out the module, like you to say to do and everything check out good. What I did do next I took truck off the ground with jack stands. I put it into 4x4, the front shaft starts to turn, but the shafts coming out of front tranfer case does not make the front wheels turn. I don, t know what to do next, everybody say they will look at it, but it will cost me. Need help anything else to check?

Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 8:50 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok if you have done all the steps above and all checked out as it should then the 4x4 shift motor on the back of the transfer case needs to be replaced. Let me know if something did test right. It is very important that you do all the steps as discribed. Thanks and let me know how it goes.
Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 9:13 AM