Anti lock brake light

DS.MIETZ
  • 1992 FORD RANGER
Im sure you get these questions all day long. On my ranger the anti lock brake light has been coming on for a week or so. Nothing seems to be leaking and the brakes seem to be fine. What do you think the problem could be? How could I fix myself? Thanks for your time and expertise!
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 4:40 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
If the ABS lamp is coming on and going off during trips then this is normally caused by a failing sensor. most likely a failing abs wheel speed sensor. unfortunately intermittent problems like this are very hard to find . the best thing to do is wait until the ABS lamp stays on, then use a ABS diagnostic scanner to retrieve the ABS trouble codes. this will pinpoint the culprit and save you a lot of headache as well as money from guessing and replacing parts that may be good in the first place.

Here is a guide to help check the sensors

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/abs-wheel-speed-sensor-test

Please run down this guide and report back.
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 2:20 PM
GREGTHOS
Thank you for the guide I found the rear ABS sensor went out in the housing, cost me $54.00 all fixed I love this site.
Saturday, June 8th, 2019 AT 4:31 PM
RANGERDANGER17
  • 1991 FORD RANGER
Brakes problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 289, 00 miles

my rear anti lock light comes on and stays on but my abs works. I have replaced the abs hydraulic unit abs wheel speed sensor in the rear end what else could it be bad sensor or what?
-1
Saturday, June 8th, 2019 AT 4:32 PM (Merged)
KEN
If the ABS light is on the ABS system is not working. The light means it disabled. I would think it would be the rear sensor which is a common failure. Here is a guide and diagrams (below) on how to test and then replace the sensor.

REMOVAL
At the rear axle housing pull the wiring harness connector from the speed sensor.

Remove the speed sensor hold down bolt and remove the speed sensor from the rear axle housing.
INSTALLATION
Clean the rear axle housing mounting surface. Use care to prevent dirt from entering the rear axle housing.
Inspect and clean the magnetized sensor pole piece to make sure that it is free from loose metal particles which could cause erratic system operation. Inspect the speed sensor O-ring for damage and replace if necessary.

Lightly lubricate the speed sensor O-ring with motor oil, align the bolt hole, and install.
NOTE: Do not apply force to the plastic sensor connector. The sensor flange should slide to the mounting surface. This will make sure the air gap setting is between 0.127-1.143 mm (0.005-0.045 inches) .

Install the speed sensor hold-down bolt and tighten to 34-40 Nm (25-29 ft. lbs.) .
Push the connector on the speed sensor.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
+2
KGDAVIS
  • 1989 FORD RANGER
I have a problem with my ranger pickup it is a 2wd every so often my rear abs light will light up while driving and when it does the turn signals will stop working, at this time I am also assuming that the brake lights also aren't working because of them being the same wire to the back. The multifunction has been changed with no success. Are they tied together somewhere it does not blow any fuses
SATURNTECH9
Anything is possible but the first thing we need to do is read the abs codes next time the abs light cones on. Then let m know the exact abs codes not descriptions.
WRENCHTECH
Saturntech9 is right about how these things should be approached but let me add this. I have seen many, many of these on RWAL Fords and 90% of the time it is the speed sensor in the top of the differential. They have a very high failure rate and the sensor is less that a shop will usually charge to to read anti lock codes so it may be worth a small gamble to replace it.