1996 Ford Probe wont start

ELKCO75
  • 1996 FORD PROBE

1996 Ford Probe 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

put a factory crate engine (1997) in a 11/95 production ford probe chassis. Won't start. Turns over, good spark, fuel pump runs, power to injectors but no fuel into cylinders. I dont think injectors are triggering. This is a racecar under construction. Air bag wiring, air conditioning, power steering and associated wiring disconnected. Any suggestions? I am stumped.

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 2:56 PM

Hi elkco75, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation-

Hook up a noid lite on the injectors harness and see if the injector circuits are pulsing. If not could be a power issue to the injectors or the driver circuit from the computer

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 3:38 PM
ELKCO75

Ok, will have to purchase one and give that a shot. Are they available in most parts stores?

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 3:42 PM

Yes sir-Orielly's, Autozone and Pep boys

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 4:58 PM
ELKCO75

OK, my friendly local auto zone guys let me borrow a noid lite out of their fuel inj test kit and it flashes while engine is being cranked over. I guess that is good. What now? I am going to try the fuel pump. Could it not have enough pressure to open injectors. Engine that was in chassis ran before change but who knows.

Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 2:01 PM

Check and test the injector's solenoid resistances if okay proceed to check the fuel pump pressure

Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 3:23 PM
ELKCO75

Is solinoid located on engine fuse panel on left strut tower? Not sure how I would do that but can look at the book and see if it helps. Any advice as to how would help here. I do have ohm meter. I tried another fuel pump (after noid light test) that was in a parts car that did run until I parts it out. It only had about 26 pounds. The one that was in car (and is back in) pushes about 42-45 psi.

Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 3:31 PM

Your fuel pressure is right on the money -okay disconnect the fuel injector harness and check injector resistances should read 11-19 ohms if not it belongs in the trash can

Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 3:56 PM
ELKCO75

Just came back from over garage. My ohm meter is digital and seems to jump all over while checking the realy. I plugged another relay off my parts car that did run. No change. Do I try to get a reading right at injectors? Man, this stuff is all brand new. Remember it is a complete crate engine. I really appreciate your help.

Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 4:13 PM

Do I try to get a reading right at injectors?

Disconnect the harness from the injector then zero your meter-check it for the correct resistances I gave earlier.

Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 4:18 PM
ELKCO75

Ok, they were all between 14.8 and 16.4 ohms. Right on the money. Have spark, fuel pressure, blinking noid light test ok. Timing light is in the timing scale on crank but is not running so only getting timing ck when rolling engine with starter and timeing light. Plugs look dry as a bone. Only time I got engine to fire was by squirting fuel into the throttle body. I am SOOOOO stumped here.

Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 1:25 PM