SERP BELT PROBLEMS

Ford

jbrent

December, 19, 2006 AT 3:01 PM

I have a 92 lincoln towncar, with 182,000 miles that is giving me fits. About a month ago the serpentine belt broke. I thought it was no problem replaced it and then about a week ago the new belt broke. I thought it was a bad belt, but the broken belt had drag marks on it and it was twisted, it appears that it got hung up on a pulley and snapped. All the pulley's except the crankshaft rotate free and easy. The tensioner seems to be plenty tight and gives good resistance when engage to put the belt on. The altenator pulley squeaks and I thought that was the culprate, but I took it off and took it to a very reputable generator shop where they put it under a load and told me that there is no way that it broke the belt. The only other abnormality is that the ps fluid leaks, but the ps pump rotates. I don't know were to go next. Please help.

carundell

December, 19, 2006 AT 3:29 PM

Hey jbrent
This may be a pulley misalignment issue, check to see if all the pulleys are aligned with the crank pulley. Should I assume all the pulleys are in good condition? Ie: no chips/cracks or missing peices of the pulley. Let us know

Chris

jbrent

December, 20, 2006 AT 8:46 AM

Hey jbrent

Chris[/quote]

Hey Chris-
thanks for the response- All of the pulley's are intact and spin freely, I am not sure if the pulley's are aligned properly I will have to check. I also wondered if there was something wrong with the tensioner, but it looks and feels fine to me?

Jason

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX