RE-LOOPING THE SERPENTINE BELT

• Carmar
  • Ford

I was hoping to aquire a diagram or picture of the proper routing for the serpentine belt. To clarify, I mean the belt that powers the alternator, I assume this is the serpentine belt. I was installing a new alternator and the belt came off during the operation. Also, if someone could identify which pulley is the tension pulley it would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2006 AT 9:48 PM

• Cosmo

Well if you could let us know what car and engine you have. That would be great. Check under you hood and on the rad support for a diagram of the belt location, sometimes its still on the vehicle. Next time. Draw a map

Cosmo. Mazda tech : roll:

Tuesday, January 17th, 2006 AT 9:55 PM
  • Carmar

Lol, my bad, at work. I have a 1999 Ford Escort ZX2. I forgot to include that it is not shown under the hood or anywhere else on the car, and the car didn't come with an owner's manual. As far as the engine, it is dohc, not sure how many liters but it is stock as holy hell.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2006 AT 10:00 PM
  • Cosmo

Oh geesh I can't remember what the routing is. Crap. Just try all the combo's you can think of, only one will work. Thats the beauty of those belts, they only work one way (most of the time)

Cosmo

Tuesday, January 17th, 2006 AT 10:03 PM
  • Cosmo

Or call a dealer, tthey will fax it too you

Tuesday, January 17th, 2006 AT 10:03 PM
  • Carmar

Ah, alright then, thanks for your help. But, do you know by any chance which pulley is the tension pulley?

Tuesday, January 17th, 2006 AT 10:05 PM
  • Lovescars

Get a repair manual for about $20 at your local auto parts store

Wednesday, January 18th, 2006 AT 8:45 AM