OBD2 MONITORS SHOWING "NOT READY"

Ford Mustang

pete3323

March, 11, 2007 AT 10:08 PM

My '98 Mustang Cobra with 4.6L and 90K miles needs a smog test. It has failed due to the fact that 3 of the test monitors show " not ready". Is there a quick way to make the monitors " ready"? I am now driving without proper tags until I can resolve this.
The car runs fine and there are no dtc's.

Please HELP! Thank you.

Mikeybdman

I was under the impression that the P1391 was for a CMP Sensor Bank 2 Short To Ground. Are you having any running problems? A miss or something?

ryagudelo

This is in Addendum to my question which was diagnosed by a Mechanic P1391on my 1997Acura SLX with 138,000 miles, and the engine check continously appeared. There is no running problem or a miss or something. The mechanic gave me a wrong interpretation of the code to complicate the problem of my car. The car runs okey and there is no problem except the check engine light with the said code. I have a suspicion that the car is giving a false reading? What should be done? Would there be parts to change, like changing the O2 sensor? Is there a mass airflow problem causing a false reading? How much man hour labor cost?

Mikeybdman

I understand why he kind of miss lead you. The code P1391 is not listed for your vehicle. If you have a chiltons manual, it should list the way to read the engine code without a scan tool. You basically just connect the Service Check Connector and that will make your Service engine soon light blink. Count the number of blinks in each cycle and refer to your manual as to what it is faulting. Most likey it is going to fault your Crankshaft sensor assembly. But I would try and verify that is your problem before spending the time and money replacing it.

ryagudelo

Hi! This is an Adendum question that I would like to know. Where is the Service Check Connector in my car Acura 1997 SLX? Secondly, what is Manufacturer Control Ignition System's misfire? In a situation of misfire, what should be done?

lostinmars

That code is for the " G" sensor. It works when the vehicle is in 4wd to sense deceleration. I'm pretty sure its located under the center console.

TaurusWheel

March, 12, 2007 AT 2:16 PM

Are there any codes showing up? Has there been any reset of the system lately? There is a drive cycle that will allow the monitors to prove out, I'm not sure exactly, for your car, what it is. Hopefully someone on here can post the procedure for you

pete3323

March, 12, 2007 AT 6:45 PM

I have already tried the ford drive cycle. I live in L.A. And it's nearly impossible to complete the way they instruct you to drive with the traffic out here. I was wondering if there is an easier way to get the monitors ready. There are no codes at all. I did use a predator programmer to tune the car and put the original tune back in for the emissions test. I realize that is the reason the " not ready's" are there. But how the heck can I get them back to normal?

TaurusWheel

March, 12, 2007 AT 7:50 PM

If you have access to the emission control info for your car, look up the three monitors you're missing and see what specifically they require to run, did you modify the car in any way? Is that what a predator programmer is for?

pete3323

March, 12, 2007 AT 9:38 PM

Yes, the predator modifies certain parameters for performance gains, however, it keeps the original tune which I have reinstalled. There are some modifications but they are very minor and should not affect these tests. Would the information on emmisions tests be in the owners manual?

TaurusWheel

March, 12, 2007 AT 11:11 PM

I don't think so, you would probably have to consult an emissions diagnosis manual for your car, find the monitor tests, I would think itwould tell you what is needed to run the monitors. What are they? Which three?