2000 FORD MUSTANG DRAGGING FRONT BRAKES

• glennluce
  • 2000 Ford Mustang

Brakes problem
2000 Ford Mustang 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

I have a problem with the driver's front brake pads dragging, creating heavy dust and smell. This is on the driver's side only. Inspection found that one piston was stuck and the inside pad was worn at an angle. I replaced both the front calipers, rotors and pads due to the high mileage. The calipers are rebuilt units from Auto Zone.
Although there is no issue of pulling when braking, (or when releasing) the driver's pads are still dragging. Is there something in the antilock system that could cause this or could it simply be a bad hose?

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 12:56 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Chances are the rubber brake hose that goes to the caliper has deteriated inside and isn't allowing the brake fluid to return when you let off the brakes. If you are sure the slides are good and the piston isn't sticking, that would be my next guess.

Let me know what you find.

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 7:15 AM
  • glennluce

I replaced both front brake hoses and the pads no longer drag. This is the first time I have had this happen and I have had many 100,000+ mile vehicles.

Thursday, November 12th, 2009 AT 8:50 AM