2006 Ford Focus Key Sticks in Ignition Switch

XAVIER77799
  • 2006 FORD FOCUS
I have research this problem and found that there is a solenoid that locks the key in the ignition switch until the engine is off and in park, but the key most of the time stays locked in switch after the engine is off. My question is where can I find the adjustment to the linkage (sensor feedback to solenoid) so that the key can be removed.

Thanks, and I will be obtaining my AAS in Automotive Technology after the Spring '09 Semester and this type of problem will be coming up in my line of work so I appreciate any help given.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 10:40 AM

JKIRKERX
My did the same thing. Eventully I could not start the car one day. The pin keys in the tumber wear out, because they forget to put lubricant in them when they drop them in at the factory.

I advise replacing it before the thing breaks, and the key won't turn. If the key doesn't line up the pins, you can't push the key inwards, to turn it forward and start the car. Plus, you can put the key in, and remove the key assembly real easy, and drop in a new one, without having to drill out the lock.
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 12:17 AM
XAVIER77799
Jkirkerx, Hi. Thanks for the information, my next follow-up qx is did you try adding WD-40 or other lubricant inside the cylinder to lubricate the pins?

Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 7:45 AM
JKIRKERX
I didn't think much of it, I kept jiggling the key until it turned. One day, it would it not engage no matter how much I jiggled it. I had to drill out the lock tumbler, and almost damaged the ignition switch assembly under the tumbler.

I bought a replacement lock at the dealer for $125.00, and had to re-key the pins to my key, took about 30 minutes, and used the white grease that came with the kit.

I would put the key in, and and push the release button and pull out the tumbler, and use a qualified lubricant. Inspect the pins to see if there is any damage. If so, replace it. Be careful if you do this, it's easy for the pins to pop apart if you don't hold it right, because of the spring pressure on each pin.

WD40 works for awhile, but attracts moisture and dust, and causes things to get worse. Graphic powder works good, but does not last long.

You can try loading the key with grease on the edges, and moving it in and out.
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 12:27 PM