2002 Ford Focus Car Ignition switch

KEOKI
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
My car ignition switch will not turn. This happened once or twice before several months back but a jiggle of the steering wheel and 2nd try it turned and car stared. 4 days ago it again I would insert key and would not turn no matter how much jiggle the steering wheel. That night when I got back home from work I inserted the key and the ignition switched easily turned no problem. Next morning again insert key and would not turn. It does not matter wether I insert my ignition key or my wife's ignition key. The key will not turn at all in the ignition. I have now tried several times over the weekend and still will not turn. I also can not push in the button on the floor mounted stick shift. The button on the stick shift is also locked and will not puch in to move the stick shift. The steering system is not under a load for the car was driven in a straight line in my drive way so there is no turn to the wheels nor are they under a pressure load to be putting a bind on the lock in the steering column.
Saturday, March 27th, 2010 AT 9:23 PM

CLOWNPUNCHER
Not an electrical problem. The tumblers inside are not working. The Focus is notorious for the tumbler breaking down. I had to change mine on my 03.
The first thing I would do is go buy a new ignition cylinder at the ford dealer. It should be about $80. Then, do EVERYTHING you can to wiggle, jiggle, oil or whatever to get the key to turn to the accessory position. Sometimes if you put the key in and tap the end of the key with a small hammer, notice I said tap, it will then turn. The reason you want it to turn is in order to change the cylinder, you have to have it in the accessory position. You turn the key to accessory (first detent clockwise) and then take the steering column cover off. You will see the pin you need to push in on the tumbler and then you pull the cylinder out. The instructions will come with pictures in the new cylinder telling you how to change it as well as how to key it so your current keys work. If you can't get the key to turn in your old one, you have to drill the cylinder out which is painfully slow process, thats why you need to do everything you can to get it to turn. Here is a link on how to drill it out if you can't get it to turn. Good luck.
Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 10:36 PM