WON'T START WHEN COLD

2000 Ford Focus

StarFlower1

July, 11, 2006 AT 6:29 PM

2000 Ford Focus ZTS 86k *Please help : cry: . For the last couple of weeks I have been having a huge problem starting my car in the mornings when it's cold (maybe 50/60 degrees) The engine will crank but not start up and when I can finally get it to start up it kills immediately. Finally I was able to step on the gas as soon as the car started up and hold the pedal down for about a minute and the car would stay running. The funny thing about all of this is after I finally do get the car running and it warms up I have no further problems starting the car until the next cold morning. However this morning it took 25 minutes to finally get it to stay running and I really need to get this fixed before one morning it won't start at all. Any advice : .I know it's not the battery or the fuel pump and when driving the car there are no signs of idle problems, nor does the car cut off while driving, after I get it going.

StarFlower1

July, 16, 2006 AT 12:59 AM

Focus was put on diagnostic machine, came back that I needed a new ignition coil. I replaced the coil yesterday. Came out this morning to start the car. It started right up but then killed seconds later.I tried this 3-4 more times with the same results. Any advice?

jdpheonix

July, 18, 2006 AT 12:10 AM

Live sumwhere cold? My mom used to live in wyoming and her crap would freeze up. Shed have to put a heater on her car all night. Ill ask her what was wrong, wat frooze up so I could help u more.

StarFlower1

July, 18, 2006 AT 12:24 AM

I live in California where it's pretty moderate and is only around 50 degrees in the morning. This morning it started right up and didn't kill. I don't know if it's because it's been much warmer in the mornings or if maybe the new coil did the trick. I did however add some HEET to the gas yesterday and maybe that did it. I'll keep my fingers crossed. : D thanks

jdpheonix

July, 18, 2006 AT 11:54 AM

Ya, ive been told to gas line can freezee up. I think you can buy little magnetic heater thingys to help with that tho.

Buy the way. SO CAL RULES!

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test