Car starts and wont start again

DAVENMILY
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
My 2002 Ford Focus zx5 with the 2.0 Dohc engine was running fine down the highway when it started to sputter and then died. It wouldn't start back up for some time and became flooded. It eventually started and would not stay running unless the pedal was pressed all the way to the floor and it was running very rough at that time. It eventually died again and would not start. I took it to a ford dealership and they were at first thinking I had bad gas but ruled that out, they then decided that it was the timing belt. They said there were no codes present and that I was getting fuel and spark and they said the fuel pressure was good. I have since removed the timing covers and found the belt to be in tact with no missing teeth or anything. I am going to replace the timing belt as it is due according to the maintenance schedule but I don't think that this is the problem. Do you have any Ideas on what is causing this problem.
Saturday, March 20th, 2010 AT 7:18 PM

Hi Davenmily, Welcome to 2carpros

It sounds like you have a classic crankshaft angle sensor that has gone out here is a guide to help you see what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Here is the location for your car for the crankshaft sensor.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Saturday, March 20th, 2010 AT 7:26 PM
DAVENMILY
Yep you hit it on the money I got a new sensor for $45.83 and installed it which was a snap. Thanks for the tip this site rocks.
Wednesday, March 24th, 2010 AT 7:06 PM
GROBER
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
Ignition cranks, but the vehicle will not turn over and start. Do you have any suggestions or idea what the problem might be?
Monday, April 2nd, 2018 AT 8:32 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
AMBERMCNA
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
Engine Cooling problem
2002 Ford Focus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My Focus wagon is fine upon starting. When shut off in hot weather, it won't start until it cools down for about an hour. The heat gauge does not go into the red, no leaking fluid. Drives fine when finally starts, but then won't if it's turned off. Both fans run, had thermostat replaced. This does not happen in the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any ways to cool it down faster would also be appreciated.
SATURNTECH9
Do you have any code's?Also when it doesn't start does it no crank no start?Or is it a crank no start?Also do you have a multimeter?
AMBERMCNA
I'm not sure how to tell if I have any codes. I get no warning lights or anything like that. It does crank and start to turn over, but just as quick, there is nothing. I don't know what a multimeter is, so I'm sure I don't have one. I honestly know very little about cars. I took it in last summer for this same problem. It was because the smaller fan wasn't kicking on. They fixed it so that fan runs all the time because they couldn't find the problem with it. There were some leaks but those have all been fixed.
+1
SATURNTECH9
I will do my best to help you but if you don't know much about car's it's going to be tough. They wired your fan to stay on all the time because they couldn't figure out the problem I would take it some where else. The fan is meant to cycle. Was it your radiator fan they have running all the time?Or your a/c fan?A multimeter is used to measure voltage and ohm's in a circuit. The way you find out if you have any trouble code's is to go to a auto part's store like auto zone and ask them to read your code's. If you have any write down the number's and let me know what the number's are.
-2
2002_FOCUS
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
I have a 2002 Ford Focus that has a problem starting when it is cold outside. It doesn't have to be Freezing, just chilly (below 50 degrees F).

When it is warm outside, it starts just fine. I replaced the battery and cables, but it still takes about 10 minutes to a half an hour to start the car when it is cold.
HOFNER18
Try adding antifreeze
-1
RUNNERSTAR16
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
Then when it gets going and warm up runs fine, then when you come to a stop it idles low and sometimes die. Changed o2 sensors and pcv valve and vaccuum hoses and plugs and wires.
RIVERMIKERAT
Check fuel pressure. Check for vacuum leaks. Check cam and crank sensors. Make sure they are properly gapped and that they don't wiggle.
WKRIDER42
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
I have a 2002 ford focus. Under normal driving conditions the car would temporarily vibrate shutter, and then return back to normal. After about a week of this the engine started to shut off after the shutter effect. I gave the engine a tune up( cleaned the throttle body, new plugs and wires, and cleaned the battery connections and inspected the wires that are easily visible) The only thing I was not able to change was the fuel filter due to accessibility. The car ran fine without incident for a week. Today the engine shut off completely. Now when I go to turn it over- nothing- no clicks, no movement of gauges, no radio power and the headlights don't come on at all. All that works is the map lights. Will you please help?
Check and test the fusible links and the ignition switch start here-double checked the battery condition and connections are goos-
SKIDDY10
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
Won't fire but turns over
Monday, April 2nd, 2018 AT 8:33 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Glow plug issue.
Fuel delivery, injector pump.

I would find a good shop with diesels to check it for you.

SKIDDY10
If it is fuel delivery or injector pump is this expensive job. Would it mean a new a new diesel pump. I've tried towing it to start but still wouldn't
ASEMASTER6371
Yes, very pricy.

HENTAIL
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
I replace my head which was new came with valves, camshaft and valves already install along with new head gasket. I torque the head bolts in sequence as manufracturer request check for oil and coolant leaks none. The coil pack, spark plug wires and plugs are new, the fuel pump is new. The fuel filter is new, the starter is new, the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor are new, the ignition switch is new and the battery is new. The car is cranking, but not starting. The lights on the instrument panel are coming on with engine check light.
MHPAUTOS
Something may be unplugged, run a scan to see what has set the check light, re check for spark, injection pulse and fuel pressure as well.
+1