BACKUP LIGHTS STUCK ON.

Ford F-250

jlower

March, 17, 2007 AT 9:35 AM

I have a 2002 F250 with a 5.4 V8, I found that the backup lights and taillights were stuck on all night and battery was almost dead. The key was off and the truck in park. There is a slight burnt wire smell in the cab. I pulled the fuse panel cover to check fuses and found oil in the fuse panel and on the lower fuses. It is a clean oil, maybe brake fluid. Could this oil have come from the master cylinder and what could it have done to cause the lights to stay on?
The truck runs and everything appears to function properly but as long as the battery is connected, the lights stay on.

bhugg

March, 19, 2007 AT 12:20 AM

It will help to know which lights are actually staying on.
You stated that the back-up lights are on but which other lamp are on?
Do the running lamps, brake lights, tunr signals or the flashers work?

jlower

March, 19, 2007 AT 6:47 AM

Everything functions properly except the backup lights, they stay on as long as the battery is connected. I did find a burnt connector on the back of the fuse panel but the section that is burnt has no wires connected. If I disconnect this connector, the backup lights go out. I could not locate the source of the oil that was in the fuse panel but it is definitely not from the master cylinder.

bhugg

March, 20, 2007 AT 12:37 AM

I don't know about any specifics on your truck. However, I would be checking for a back-up lamp switch. On my explorer, it has a switch that looks to be on or near the manual transmission or on a automatic transmission, it appears to be a part of the ignition switch.

Good Luck

Reverse Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Fog Light Bulb Replacement w/ H.I.D Kit