F250 134A IN AN R12 SYSTEM

1992 Ford F-250

okieplayer32

August, 21, 2009 AT 6:24 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1992 Ford F250

I took my pick-up to a mechanic to get air system recharged, the mechanic put 134a in my r12 system. I did not realize until a few days later when the air would no longer cool, I took it to another mechanic and he said because of nothing being converted and the r12 still in the system I was going to have to replace my whole system now, is this true and if so should the first mechanic be responsible for the damages?

frankhallman

August, 18, 2012 AT 3:08 AM

Replacement. Yes. The R134a is more corrosive to a system than R12. It attracts water. It uses PAG oil vs mineral oil for R12. If you never had a conversion from R12 to R134a, you should have screw type access ports on the suction line and discharge line of the compressor. A retrofit kit would have quick diconnect ports that screw onto the original threaded ports. The mechanic that charged your system probably should have been aware of that since it is a major difference.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear