Horn problems

THEMARCIAN
  • FORD F-150
I have a 1993 E150 4.9L and the horn won't work. It has almost 200k. I am thinking about changing the whole steering column, but is there anything else I should check before doing this?
Thursday, February 15th, 2007 AT 7:59 PM

BOOTDOG
Check the power to the horn first. Make sure there is power going to the horn. If not, then remove the horn button and make sure the connectors are intact and you have a good ground. Let me know
Thursday, February 15th, 2007 AT 8:05 PM
Also won't hurt to check for a horn relay
Friday, February 16th, 2007 AT 4:28 AM
THEMARCIAN
Where would I find the horn relay?
+1
Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 8:59 PM
BHUGG
On a 93 Explorer, there are 2 options. Being a 93 Ford, it might be the same. There are no Guarantees.
If the truck has speed control, then there is a horn relay. It looks like it is under the dash near the steering column.
If it dosen't have speed control, it is only the switch in the steering column.
In my explorer book, it goes from fuse #8 to either the relay or switch, and then to the horns.
Try to run a jumper from the hot (+) terminal of the battery to the horn to make sure the horn actually works.

Just realized one more thing.
Check the fuse box under the hood. In my explorer, the power for the horn and several other devices routes first through the power distribution box under the hood.
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 12:31 AM
SIRGIBBY
Check the horn fuse?
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 6:23 PM
BHUGG
The power distribution box I mentioned has both fuses and relays. Look in your owners manual.
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 8:54 PM
NOS
DOES this truck have an air bag. If so DO NOT back prob any wires with power unless you disconnect it. If it does have an air bag it is possible you have a bad clock spring. Doese truck have cruse and all that at the steering wheel?
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 9:04 PM
THEMARCIAN
Yes it has cruise and an air bag.
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 11:00 AM
NOS
Does your cruse work? Have you tryed tapping on ht horn with a hammer while someone holds the horn button down. Sometimes a little jar will get them going again 8) NOS
Friday, February 23rd, 2007 AT 8:52 PM