Charging system problem

BEARCATRIDER
  • FORD F-150
I have a 95 Ford F150 with a 5.0 liter engine and about 200k on the odometer. I recently lost my charging. I thought it to be the alternator and replaced it I also put in a new battery and clamps at the same time. This worked for about 10 minutes than the alternator quit charging. I took the rebuilt alternator back and they replaced it with a new one. This new one wouldn't work at all at first but cuts in intermittently. When it works it works it works fine (14-15 volts) even under load. After a short while it will cut out again. The power feed to the alternator remains constant and doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm thinking that the fault may be in the connector plug at the alternator. Any ideas?
Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 9:29 PM

The IVR internal voltage regulator controls the output of the alternator-

Full field the alternator by jumping the connector A to F and see what happens.

When key is in ON position the I pin on the connector should have battery voltage.-If not check the ignition switch.
+1
Monday, March 12th, 2007 AT 4:51 AM
BEARCATRIDER
If I jump A-F I get charging.
I have battery voltage at the connector.
It's almost like the regulator cuts out and then doesn't reset itself. Sometimes it will cutout and restart on it's own while the engine is running. Also sometimes I can get it to reset by disconnecting the battery and then restarting. Is it possible that I may have a short in the wire running to the voltage gauge. This is the only wire that I haven't really followed back all the way. I would blame the regulator but this is the third alternator that I'm on now and if the regulator is at fault, something has to be causing it to fail.
Monday, March 12th, 2007 AT 10:08 PM
If I jump A-F I get charging.
It's almost like the regulator cuts out and then doesn't reset itself. Sometimes it will cutout and restart on it's own while the engine is running. Also sometimes I can get it to reset by disconnecting the battery and then restarting. Is it possible that I may have a short in the wire running to the voltage gauge. This is the only wire that I haven't really followed back all the way. I would blame the regulator but this is the third alternator that I'm on now and if the regulator is at fault, something has to be causing it to fail.[/Quote:b094a6fd3f]

Could be that wire-causing the regulator to go out. And again some systems the computer controls the regulator. Check that out too.
Monday, March 12th, 2007 AT 10:14 PM