Not charging battery

TMAJ9447
  • 1988 FORD F-150
  • 200 MILES
After hauling a trailer this situation has occurred.
I have replaced alternator, senolid, battery cables, alt wires, checked inline fuses.
Chased a grounding issue to the curiosity light, fixed.
And replaced ECM, found two blown capicators.
Battery charges when jumped from another vehicle @ 13+ vt, and gauge in dash works fine.
Checked all fuses in fuse block, all good.
Please help!
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 4:51 AM

FIXITMR
Sounds like alternator is not turning on to charge.
+1
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 5:00 AM
FIXITMR
Have you taken a reading at alternator output wire?
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 5:17 AM
TMAJ9447
Yes, no voltage. Tested cont on wires and the inline fuse is good.
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 5:22 AM
TMAJ9447
Do not understand or know how to diagnose to get alt to excite
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 5:32 AM
I HAVE 2 THINGS YOU MIGHT WANNA LOOK AT

I WAS NOT SURE IF YOUR RIG HAD ONE LIKE THIS

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Voltage-Regulator/1988-Ford-F150-1-2-ton-P-U-2WD/_/N-ihz03Z9ci9t?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=VOLTAGE+REGULATOR&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=130153_6248_0_

I DID NOT SEE THAT YOU HAD REPLACED IT, SO I SORTA USE AUTOZONE TO ATTEMPT TO VERIFY OR SEE EXACTLY WHAT COMPONENTS ARE ON NEWER CARS THAN I AM USED TO

THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR MAY BE BAD--OR--THE CONNECTOR JUST AIN'T CONTACTING WELL (MAY WANT TO BEND THE MALE SPADES SLIGHTLY TO MAKE BETTER CONTACT) I EXPERIENCED THIS BEING THE PROBLEM WITH MY DAD'S '76 F-150 NOT CHARGING

2ND POSSIBILITY IS A BURNED "FUSIBLE LINK"

I DON'T KNOW HOW YOURS IS SET UP---BUT MY OLDER JEEP CJs USE A FORD SYSTEMIF YOU FOLLOW YOUR POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE THE 1ST THING YOU COME TO IS PROBABLY THE SOLENOID

IN THE FOLLOWING INFO YOU WILL HOPEFULLY SEE AND LEARN ABOUT FUSIBLE LINKSABOUT HALFWAY DOWN, IS WHAT I WANT YOU TO SEE

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-ford-ranger-wont-start

RETURN WITH A SMILE!

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 5:59 AM
TMAJ9447
Volt/ reg and altare new even after having old one tested (good). Wire harness from alt to sol. Continuity tested good, both sides of fuseable link tested good. I will see if I can get new connectors for alt. All wires replaced with ones that have good cont. And looks good but I guess it can still not make connection at alt.
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 6:28 AM
FIXITMR
What colors are the alt plug wires? What motor is in truck?
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 6:33 AM
FIXITMR
So it has seperate volt reg like picture in ad page? I was thinkin it was inclusive alternator?
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 6:41 AM
TMAJ9447
Straight 6 cyl, wires are 2 large black/org, one white ( I think) all three into fuseable link then green to solenoid. Then same 2 blk/org from connector at alt to second alt connector with 3rd green wire to ampmeter in dash.
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 6:44 AM
FIXITMR
I'm still confused. The white/black should plug back into alternator if reg is on alternator. And there should be a yellow/white wire that accompanies 2 large blk/org wires. Can you take alternator in and get it tested?
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 7:24 AM
LOOKY HERE

WE WANT TO HELP, THINGS YOU HAVE SAID SORTA DO NOT MAKE SENSE

CAN YOU SEND PICS OF STUFF LIKE YOUR VOLTAGE REG, BACKSIDE OF ALTERNATOR, SOLENOID, USE A POINTER AND POINT AT STUFF, LIKE A "FUSIBLE LINK"?

PICS ARE EZ TO POST. THESE PERTAIN TO MY '46 JEEP

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 1:54 PM
TMAJ9447
I will get some pics up later today, the alt is new, the old alt tested good at a shop. Replaced it away, the regulated is external there are 2 big blk and org wires and a yellow white I guess wires from one plug on the alt I assume it is internal component. There is another plug 3 wires that connect to the external regulator. Hope this helps, sorry for confusion will get pic later today. Thanks for your help.
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 8:01 PM
TMAJ9447
Ok I have attached 3 pictures. Solenoid, new alt, and new connector installed tonight. The wires from solenoid are one dark green, fuselink, then 3 wires (2 blk/org) and (1 yellow/white). 2 blk/org go to 3 wire internal connector at bottom of alt. The third wire (white/blk) goes from internal connection to external connection regulator mounted on back of alt. The other 2 wires at regulator connection are green/red to ampmeter and yellow/white that goes back to fuselink at solenoid. Hope this is not confusing. I did start the truck after replacing internal connector, still no charge. I disconnected the green wire from solenoid, started truck, checked with voltmeter read 0.32 volts respectively. I will have new connector for the external regulator tomorrow if you think it is not making a good connection. Thanks so much for you help.
Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 3:47 AM
Fixitmr GOT THE WIRING END OF THIS GOING WITH YOU---HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET YOU A DIAGRAM, IF '89 SHOWS UP IN MIT I

I GOT JUST 2 MORE QUESTIONS, THEN I'M SPENT

1ST PIC---AMMETER WIRE--IS THAT A FUSIBLE LINK NEAR YOUR ARROW?

BACK TO EXTERNAL REGULATOR----DID YOU SLIGHTLY BEND THE SPADES TO MAKE BETTER CONTACT TO THE CONNECTOR?

WITH JEEP CJs THEY USE A FORD MODULE (NOT RELATED TO THIS PROBLEM!) ON 2 SEPARATE OCCASIONS (YEARS APART) I REPLACED THE MODULE, AS THE OLD ONE TESTED BADAFTER EXTENSIVE TESTING AND REALLY GOING CRAZY WITH THE WIRES FOR 2 DAYS.I TOOK THE NEW MODULE BACK. IT TOO WAS BAD.2ND TIME THIS HAPPENED, I WAS ALERT. NOW MY POLICY IS TEST A NEW ONE BEFORE IT LEAVES THE STORE! (YES, THEY THINK I'M CRAZY). COULD IT BE YOUR REGULATOR IS LAUGHING AT YOU NOW?

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 4:21 AM
TMAJ9447
Ahhh. Did not have it tested before I left (will do that). The ammeter wire at end of arrow is a bullet connector did not see a fuselink in this wire. As for the spades I did not think to bend them. As you I am spent for the day. I have a new connector tomorrow, thursday I will the day to check it again, and have the alt tested if no success. Thanks again will post again thursday evening.
Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 4:53 AM
Have you run continuity test throughout the wire?

It might be a good idea to disconnect the battery first.

If you can get to the very end, you can always stick a straight pin in it.

We'll be waitin' on you

The Medic
Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 5:12 AM
TMAJ9447
Ok had the new alt tested and it is good. I have prelaced both connectors now and have some success, the truck charged slowly to 9.50 volts and held there. Still not enough to run the truck when neg battery term is removed. I have not cont. Test the wires since the new connectors, will do tonight.
Thursday, January 19th, 2012 AT 12:36 AM
AND THE DEAL WITH MR. VOLTAGE REGULATOR?

THE "REMOVE A CABLE, WHILE RUNNING" IS NOT A GOOD PRACTICE! ESPECIALLY W/ A COMPUTER CAR!

BATTERY TEST---KEY OFF--TEST AT BATTERY TERMINALS WITH A VOLTMETER

ALTERNATOR TEST IS EXACTLY THE SAME, EXCEPT ENGINE IS RUNNING

I DID NOT WATCH THIS COMPLETELY--YOU DETERMINE IF IT IS LIKE YOUR SET-UP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjdaTypqj6o

CHANGING MY SEACH WORDS MAY GIVE YOU MORE HITS

Thursday, January 19th, 2012 AT 2:05 AM
TMAJ9447
It was tested with the alt and is good. I am watching youtube link you provided trying to gain knowledge. I have replaced and tested the wires and connectors for cont. And it test good but still not getting a charge. I add a diagram of the wire harness maybe someone knows what these wires are, what the do and what voltages they should have and educate me so I can get better information to you guys. Thanks much
pic 1 is diagram of the wires
pic 2 is diagram of wires in relation to alt
pic 3 is the pig tail used to bench test the alt
Thursday, January 19th, 2012 AT 4:13 AM
THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A 4.9L 1988 F-150

I RECKON WE SHOULDA THROWED IT TO YOU SOONER!

SEE WHAT YOU CAN FIND WITH THIS

I DO NOT KNOW HOW IT LOOKS AT 2CARFELLERS TILL I POST IT---LET ME KNOW IF YOU CANNOT READ IT WELL--I CAN SAFELY GET IT TO YOU WITHOUT YOU BLURTING OUT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS

Thursday, January 19th, 2012 AT 4:30 AM