Transmission slips in overdrive

FORDQUESTION0785
  • 2004 FORD F-150
When my transmission goes into overdrive, transmission slips like it is in neutral. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are o.K. If I shut off overdrive truck runs fine. Is this a transmission problem or is it something with a switch or computer issue?
Sunday, October 18th, 2009 AT 9:21 AM

KEN
Hey FORDQUESTION0785,

It sounds like you could have a pressure control solenoid that may be out. Here are instructions and diagrams below to show you how to replace it, if this does not work then there is a chance the transmission is going out and needs a rebuild or replacement. I would recommend a service but it is too late for that, the overdrive clutches are burned up.

If so here is a video on how to remove the transmission on a similar vehicle so you can get a rebuilt unit.

https://youtu.be/3vJAojsrfuU

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:59 PM
REY-GTS
Thanks for this post I had this problem and had to get a rebuilt transmission the video was great BTW :)
Monday, July 1st, 2019 AT 4:22 PM
GOTTOBME9
  • 2004 FORD F-150
How do I change the reverse band in my transmission in my ford f150 2004 the fluid level is fine. Please help me I love this site.
Monday, July 1st, 2019 AT 4:23 PM (Merged)
KEN

They do not have a band in newer transmission there are just clutch discs applied by pressure servos. If your transmission is slipping it probably needs a rebuild which is not as hard as people think. Here are the diagrams to do a transmission rebuild on an automatic.

You will need to remove the transmission first this guide will give you an idea on how to pull the transmission out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/transmission-replacement-removal-manual

Yours will have converter bolts and cooler lines but its about the same.

Check out the diagrams (BELOW)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
MARKWH
  • 2004 FORD F-150
My ford pickup kind of slipps in reverse or at least the eng. Reves up but doesn't back very good. On a small incline it takes a lot of throttle to get my truck to back up. It even shutters a little. I'm broke and have 0 dollars for repairs. Please help.
-1
MARKWH
BAMBINO6
  • 2004 FORD F-150
I have a 2004 f150 heritage with the 4.6l v8. My transmission is slipping when overdrive is engaged, when its not I have no issues.
RIVERMIKERAT
Have you had the fluid flushed yet? Check the tranny fluid pressure. Have it scanned for transmission codes.
G-BEARH
  • 2004 FORD F-150
Shakes or Wobbles problem
2004 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My ford truck set for a while due to gas. When I started to drive it again on a take off it chaters till it hits about second gear. Does it more on turning than going strait. Only from a dead start. Rolling start ok. Is this the trans. Slipping or is this in the rearend?
A trans usually won't go bad from just sitting. I would suggest, since it's worse when you turn, to check the CV joints and the u-joints.

Let me know what you find. Also, make sure the ATF is full.

JO0418HN
  • 2000 FORD F-150
2000 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 108k miles

live in the mountains, no load in truck, climbing a slight grade, truck bucks, manually downshift, stops bucking, added lucas trans additive, some help, vin#1ftrx18w2ynb84910, born date 5/00-question should I add more additive, seafoam maybe, also what is the trans #4r70w or what #, thanks jo0418hn
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

These additives are not a cure all, at best they may just mask a problem, the slippage is a sign of worn clutch packs leaking servos or low line pressure, it really needs to be checked out now before you do some real damage driving it about, get it seen to by a qualified trans tech before its to l ate.

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2003 FORD F-150
Why does truck sometimes start jerking when coming to a stop, then transmission seems to slip when I take off
Monday, July 1st, 2019 AT 4:24 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
It may not be downshifting correctly and slipping.

Have it checked at a trans shop to confirm the failure.

Have you serviced it regularly?

1332WALKER
  • 2000 FORD F-150
When is elect dr nothing happens. Engine revs up but will not get first gear. Just slips. It will go in to rev
Try gear 1 to move forward if in drive it may be a roller clutch let go otherwise have a trans guy check it. Also check fluid if dark brown or black go to a trans shop