Location of the coolant temperature sensor?

BENSTER30
  • 2004 FORD F-150
Engine Mechanical problem V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

need to find the location of the temp sending unit. My check engine light is on due to this sender not functioning correctly. 2004 f150 new style and mine is on the front of the engine block on the bottom. Seems like mine is a 2004 1/2. Like to have never found it and they kept trying to sell me the wrong one. It is smaller than the parts house tried to sell me. It is underneath, bind radiator on front of block.
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 10:28 AM

KEN

The coolant temperature or cylinder head temperature sensor is located near the rear of the engine, Here are some diagrams (below) that will show you where they are.

This guide will help you see what you are in for when doing the job step by step.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-temperature-sensor-cts-replacement

IMAGES OF THE SENSOR LOCATIONS CLICK BELOW. Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+13
Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 AT 7:31 PM
DOLPHUS
  • 2004 FORD F-150
Where is a coolant temperature sensor located on a Ford F-150?
Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 AT 5:06 PM (Merged)
My info shows this for the 5.4L. Cylinder head temp sensor, back side of cylinder head on the passenger's side.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.
DOMLAB
  • 2004 FORD F-150
I located the cht sensor but can't find the temp sensor Ect thanks
OHYEA
Your engine doesnt have a traditional ECT(engine coolant temperature) sensor, instead it employs a cylinder head temperature(CHT) sensor.
+5
Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 AT 5:07 PM (Merged)
That 's because it doesn't have one it uses a cht sensor instead.
+1
BOBCAT9095
  • 2004 FORD F-150
Engine problem V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 49000 miles

Where is the coolant sensor located? It is a 5.4 engine. Thanks
KEN

The engine coolant sensor is located near the front of the engine on the drivers side. Here is a guide that will give you an idea on what you are in for when doing the job.

Here is the diagram (BELOW)

+9
BIGGIE1130
  • 2003 FORD F-150
My 2003 ford f150 6cylinder is putting out a code p1299, I would like to know where the cylinder head temperature sensor is located, chances of it failing and if this part is called by any other names. The truck seems to be running fine, this has happened once before when it did the temp gauge peggedall the way hot and the truck switched to alternating cylinders I belive but after stoping the truck and restarting it it seemed to go away, this time none of this has happened and would like any advice that could be helpful. So far I have been told to burd the coolent system
I believe the sensor is near the front of head.
+1
ETHOMAS
  • 2003 FORD F-150
Where is the ETC Sensor located on my 2003 F-150?
BLACKOP555
Near the thermostat housing, near upper radiator hose I belive on your model.
ROY SHORT
  • 2001 FORD F-150
Engine Cooling problem
2001 Ford F150 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

i have a ford f150 with a 4.2 v six I need to know where the ecm coolant sensor is located on the engine my book showes at thermostat housing but it not there thanks
The book is correct; however, if it isn't there, check on the cylender heads.
WASHGUY
  • 2001 FORD F-150
Computer said my coolant temperature sensor was bad. I purchased one. Have looked at many diagrams for location. I removed alternator and took out sensor behind thermostat housing and below about a foot towards center of motor. Have done small jobs before but cannot find this one. Thanks for help! The sensor I took out is much smaller in diameter at the threads than my new one.
-1
KASEKENNY1
Just make sure you got the correct sensor and am looking in the correct location. I have run into this many times with people not getting the correct sensor. This engine has a Cylinder Head Temperature sensor and a lot of stores will not look this up correctly.
There's a whole bunch of problems here. The first one is there is no drawing that shows the location of the coolant temperature sensors. There is a cylinder head temperature sensor indicated at the bottom / center of the first drawing. They do make reference to two other coolant temperature sensors, but they aren't even shown on the electrical diagrams. At this point I can't show you were they are, but you will usually find them close to the thermostat housing at the end of the upper radiator hose. On V-type engines, you might also find them on the intake manifold. With inline engines, they might be found on the side of the block.

The next problem is there are usually two of them. One is for the dash gauge and will have just one wire connected to it. The other is for the Engine Computer and will always have two wires. Ford did have a lot of trouble with the two-wire sensors in the early to mid '90s, but other than that, temperature sensors have an extremely low failure rate because there's just one component inside them. It's much more common to find spread or corroded connector terminals that aren't making a solid connection.

The last concern is the diagnostic fault code did not say to replace the sensor or that it was bad. Fault codes never say that on any brand or model. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition. First we have to rule out wiring and connector terminal problems associated with that part. Also, there are many fault codes that can be set related to temperature sensors, and they mean very different things. What was the exact fault code number you're diagnosing?
Hi KASEKENNY1. Looks like we found the same diagrams.
JEREMYHARRISON
  • 2001 FORD F-150
My truck has high idle for 15 to 20 minutes. There are no codes at all. It seems may be related to coolant temperature sensor. I know where the cylinder temperature sensor, but I'm having a hard time locating the coolant temperature sensor.
I found some people talking about it possibly having a thermostat instead but I'm not sure. Would there still be a sensor?
ASEMASTER6371
Good afternoon,

Why do you think it is the coolant sensor? It does not control idle speed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-idle-speed-control-motor-iac

You said you knew where it was but you want to know where it is? Please explain.

The sensor is located just under the intake manifold on the left front of the engine.

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

2. Remove the bolts and the accelerator control splash shield.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

3. Remove the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve electrical connector.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

4. Disconnect the throttle bypass hose.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

5. Remove the bolts and the IAC valve.

INSTALLATION
1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Sponsored links