OIL IN SPARK PLUG WELLS

LARRYSDD1
  • 2000 FORD F-150
Engine Performance problem V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

i recently changed the plugs in my 2000 f150 w/ 5.4 triton. It had developed a miss. When I pulled the plugs, all wells had some amount of oil in them. #2 were pretty full. Ran great for about 2 weeks and miss is back? Don't know if oil is already back in holes yet. I know I need to change the boots as they were swelled from the oil. My question is how is the oil getting in the wells? Engine seems pretty dry on the outside. Thanks larry
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 6:41 PM

SERVICE WRITER
I would suspect the valve cover gasket orings to be leaking. The rings will come with a valve cover gasket set. They seal off the spark plug tubes.

Your lucky the plugs came out. These engines didn't have a lot of threads for the plugs and are common to blow out or snap off when removing. They are also known for coolant getting into the plug holes.

Regardless, I expect you'll find oil getting in through these seals. I always recommend replacing the boots when oil has come into contact with them. They are a good idea to replace regardless when doing plugs.
+3
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 6:14 AM
LARRYSDD1
Could you be a little more specific. The valve cover gasket set I bought has built in o rings which seal around the bolts that secure the cover. Are there additional orings and where do they go? The parts store listed a gromet set but had no picture or info about it. It was seperate from the valve cover set.
I can really not see any kind of leaks at the top edge of the v. Cover that would cause this. Another ford master tech. I know with every possible ford cert. You can have told me the only way the oil can get in the well is from the top, as in spilled or thru the plug itself? As far as I know the plugs were original with 175,000 mi. And all 8 wells had some amount of oil.
(2000, 5.4 triton) thanks larry
+1
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 9:56 AM
KEN
When the valve cover gaskets leak they fill the spark plug holes here is a guide to show you what you are in for when changing the valve cover gaskets.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-valve-cover-gasket

Here is what it will be like on your car (below) how to replace valve cover gaskets

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
-1
Saturday, October 21st, 2017 AT 12:55 PM