1997 Ford F-150 !997 Ford F-150

WENDYC
  • 1997 FORD F-150
So, if its a warped/cracked head, does that mean he will need a new motor? If so, is there a place online we can check for one? He changed the water pump and oil, started it up, let it run for a few minutes, checked oil, water was back in oil.
Saturday, February 2nd, 2008 AT 6:29 PM

FLEXY5
It depends not on the head, but on the block. If the head is warped, it cannot be plained down. The timing chains are set to a specific length and won't allow the head to be milled down. Also it may cause issues with valve clearance and the pistons. Only if the engine block is warped would you need a new engine. Ford allows a maximum of.002 warpage. If it is greater than that the block must be replaced. Once again, it's because the block cannot be milled either for the same reasons. If you have a blown head gasket, and face the option of replacing the engine, salvage engines may not be a bad option. Especially when you consider the mileage on the vehicle. If you swap engines, you will want to install several new parts onto the replacement engine first. If you would like a list of what is recommended to replace, let me know and I will get you that list. Post back if you have any further questions.
Saturday, February 2nd, 2008 AT 8:01 PM

Sponsored links