1992 Ford F-150 Pulling when manual hubs locked in

RED34RIDER
  • 1992 FORD F-150
I just purchased this truck and noticed that when I lock the manual hubs in the truck pulls hard to the right. I do not notice any pull at all when they are unlocked. Any help would be appreciated.
Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 AT 8:53 AM

JWALTH02
Could be you drivers side hub is worn and not engaging. Kind of a pain to pull apart but easy to put back together if you pay attention.
Friday, December 7th, 2007 AT 12:37 AM
JWALTH02
Well I've taken mine apart several times and nothing has come flying out of it. All you really have to do is unscrew the main piece that has the switch on it and pull it out, if a lot of metal flakes/dust that looks like graphite comes out then it needs replacing. But then again, if it doesn't it could be something deeper like alignment or something else. Let me know how it goes.
Sunday, December 9th, 2007 AT 9:05 PM
FLEXY5
Something else to check is the front axle shaft u-joints. On a lot of the older trucks when they go bad they will cause a severe pull when turning, because they are siezes. This makes the opposing side push. In order to inspect them properly, the hubs should be removed. They shouldn't "fly apart" unless they are broken, but you can pull them out and just lay them out on the ground like they came out of the truck. Then you have to remove the brakes and the hub. The shaft will slide out (sometimes a little effort is required) and you should be able to tell if the u-joints are frozen.
Sunday, December 9th, 2007 AT 9:36 PM