1987 Ford F-150 engine stops

REEDGERRYLEE
  • 1987 FORD F-150
The truck runs pefectly for 100 miles then it will just stop with no warning. No sputter just engine stops. We've checked fluids, gas, change fuel filter, checked ignition modual. Two mechanics say there is nothing wrong with it. This truck has sat for a long time with very little driving but well maintained. Electrical glitch in ignition has been there for a long time & truck has always run. This truck also has two gas tanks & a hose running from the air cleaner into the engine?
Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 AT 7:57 AM

RACEFAN966
When it stalls does it restart right back up or does it need to cool for a bit to start back up? Is this truck injected and what engine?
Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 AT 9:16 AM
REEDGERRYLEE
It won't start after stalling. Maybe as long as 12 hours. I've had it towed twice. It's a V8w/carb, plugs, dist. Cap? I'm a girl I don't know too much about cars. The garage said that they have checked the vaccum hoses too.
Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 AT 10:23 AM
RACEFAN966
OK I am thinking ignition module or coil. Now what I would like you to do next time it stalls is unplug a spark plug wire from a spark plug and put a screw driver in the end set it next to the valve cover or other metal and crank it over, let me know if there is spark. If there is no spark then I would replace the ignition module. Unless it is on the distributor here is what it should look like.

Module.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_51082_2.jpg

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 9:40 AM
REEDGERRYLEE
We are in the middle of the biggest snow storm ever. I'm in PA the truck is in WV I will try this when I can. Thank you so much for your help.
Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 4:22 PM
RACEFAN966
No problems let me know how it goes when you get to it. As for snow I know I am in Northern Idaho and it usually us that gets it but not this year.
Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 8:47 AM
REEDGERRYLEE
The shop called & told me that there is a slight leak in the fuel pump. Would this cause the stalling problem? The engine just stops, would an air bubble cause this? How do I know if it needs new plug wires?
Sunday, February 14th, 2010 AT 2:02 PM
RACEFAN966
I still think it will be the module. As for a fuel pump causing this no it won't. The only way a fuel pump can cause an engine to die is to go bad and it won't start back up no matter how much time you give it or the fuel line crackes before the pump and it draws air through the line instead of fuel. Now for you plug wires question ohm them out and give the ohms and length of wire and I will check that for you.
Monday, February 15th, 2010 AT 10:40 AM
REEDGERRYLEE
I spoke with the garage and they replaced the fuel pump. They said then the truck started stalling like we were saying. They're telling me to replace the starter selonoid and the positive battery cable. I shur do hope this fixes it cause I'm gonna head down Wednsday to WV and pick it up. If this snow don't stop I'll never get it home. Thank you so much for all of your help, you've eased my mind a bit through out all this.
Monday, February 15th, 2010 AT 3:28 PM
RACEFAN966
If it still has the problem as I suspect it will buy the module yourself and replace it. It is very easy to do take about 15 minutes. Let me know how it goes ok.
Tuesday, February 16th, 2010 AT 8:31 AM