COLD DRAFT BEHIND GLOVE BOX

Ford Explorer

rslade

October, 24, 2007 AT 11:42 AM

2004 Ford Explorer, 65K miles, not many bells and whistles.

I'm getting a draft coming from behind the glove box on the passenger side only.
Brought it to local shop, they went thru it and everything is working, there is no fresh air vent. The actuator is working properly.
The cold weather is creeping in and trying to figure out where it is coming from.
Can I stuff insulation up behind glove box?

PLEASE HELP

RW

02 Lx

Mike Hlavac

November, 27, 2007 AT 11:05 AM

I have the same problem in my 2002 Explorer. I am going to put some foam rubber or something behind the glove box in hopes that it will shut out some of the cold air. Can't figure out the rpoblem. Even put a flashlite in the engine compartment to look for a hole or entry inside but find none.

I hope we get an answer.I'm sure we're not the only ones w/ the problem.

Mike Hlavac

November, 27, 2007 AT 2:45 PM

I may have found our answer. Look at the posting on page 4.

George A

I to am having the same problem on my 2004 Explorer, just drove 400 miles and my girl friend froze on the passengers side. I saw an answer was to be on pg4-pg4 of what?

Please help and many thanks
i

merlin2021

January, 25, 2008 AT 7:07 AM

What happens when you use the recirculate inside air setting? You may have the fresh air setting on, and taking in cold outside air. The air inlet is on the passenger side under the windshield wiper.I don't see any tech bulletins on this one yet.

George A

It doesn't matter if it is on recirculate, the problem exist with the inside air only with heat on max. It is extremely cold especially with the colder weather. Never had the problem before. It appeared all of a sudden. All fuctions seem to work properly-A/c, Defrost, Heat, Inside or outside air. I appreciate your thoughts to date. Any other ideas were to look. Thank you
George

merlin2021

January, 26, 2008 AT 7:57 AM

If you remove the passenger side under dash trim panel. Grab a flashlight and look up were the foam rubber seal meets the a/c plenum, is the foam torn or missing? This foam is oval shaped and joins the air intake opening under the hood with the heater and a/c plenum.

George A

I have found that the plastic arm coming out of the air inlet duct is broken. Can I take the air inlet duct box out w/o having to take the entire dash apart. It seems that if I remove the fan I would have access to the interior bolt or bolts for mounting the air inlet box. If I can, is there room to pull the box out. Thank you in advance for any info.

merlin2021

January, 27, 2008 AT 9:34 AM

Which arm? The door control lever? Maybe it can be glued with some of the newer epoxies? You will have a lot of work to get the whole plenum out.

leonard muniak

March, 29, 2009 AT 3:39 PM

I HAD THE SAME TROUBLE WITH MY EXPLORER. WIFE COMPLAINED OF THE COLD AIR. I DIDN'T WANT TO PAY $600.00 TO $800.00 FOR THE MIXING DOOR TO BE REPLACED (I HEARD THEY DON'T LAST LONG). I OPENED THE GLOVE BOX AND POPPED THE (2) SIDE STOPS AND LET THE BOX HANG DOWN. I THEN CUT A SECTION OUT OF A HEAVY DUTY TRASH BAG AROUND 2FT BIGGER THEN THE OPENING (IT COULD EVEN BE CUT BIGGER. I THEN PUSHED THE PLASTIC INTO THE OPENING AND PUSHED THE OVERLAPPING PLASTIC EVENLY ABOVE - ON SIDES - AND BELOW AROUND THE INSIDE OF THE GLOVE BOX. I THEN SNAPPED THE BOX BACK IN PLACE. I HAD TO REACH ABOVE AFTER I OPENED THE BOX A FEW TIMES TO RE-STUFF THE PLASTIC. IT STOPPED THE AIR FROM BLOWING THRU THE BOX AND HELP STOP A LOT OF THE AIR FROM BELOW. THE WIFE'S HAPPIER AND IT DOES HELP. GOOD LUCK

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911