Cold Draft Behind Glove Box

RSLADE
  • FORD EXPLORER
2004 Ford Explorer, 65K miles, not many bells and whistles.

I'm getting a draft coming from behind the glove box on the passenger side only.
Brought it to local shop, they went thru it and everything is working, there is no fresh air vent. The actuator is working properly.
The cold weather is creeping in and trying to figure out where it is coming from.
Can I stuff insulation up behind glove box?

PLEASE HELP

RW
Wednesday, October 24th, 2007 AT 11:42 AM

KEN

It sounds like you have a fresh air blend door actuator that is not working. Here is a guide to help you see what you are in for when changing the actuator out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Check out the diagrams (Below) of all blend door actuator locations

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Tuesday, November 27th, 2007 AT 11:05 AM
MIKE HLAVAC
I found the actuator and linkage was a little messed up from rust? Weird one I replaced the actuator and cleaned it up no more cold air. Thanks for the guides really helped.
Tuesday, November 27th, 2007 AT 2:45 PM
GEORGE A
Yep same problem here did the replacement and now I have heat!

Many thanks :)
Thursday, January 24th, 2008 AT 10:51 PM
MERLIN2021
If you remove the passenger side under dash trim panel. Grab a flashlight and look up were the foam rubber seal meets the a/c plenum, is the foam torn or missing? This foam is oval shaped and joins the air intake opening under the hood with the heater and a/c plenum.
Saturday, January 26th, 2008 AT 7:57 AM
GEORGE A
I have found that the plastic arm coming out of the air inlet duct is broken. Can I take the air inlet duct box out w/o having to take the entire dash apart. It seems that if I remove the fan I would have access to the interior bolt or bolts for mounting the air inlet box. If I can, is there room to pull the box out. Thank you in advance for any info.
Saturday, January 26th, 2008 AT 6:58 PM
MERLIN2021
Which arm? The door control lever? Maybe it can be glued with some of the newer epoxies? You will have a lot of work to get the whole plenum out.
Sunday, January 27th, 2008 AT 9:34 AM
LEONARD MUNIAK
I had the same trouble with my explorer. Wife complained of the cold air. I didn't want to pay $600.00 to $800.00 for the mixing door to be replaced (i heard they don't last long). I opened the glove box and popped the (2) side stops and let the box hang down. I then cut a section out of a heavy duty trash bag around 2ft bigger then the opening (it could even be cut bigger. I then pushed the plastic into the opening and pushed the overlapping plastic evenly above - on sides - and below around the inside of the glove box. I then snapped the box back in place. I had to reach above after I opened the box a few times to re-stuff the plastic. It stopped the air from blowing thru the box and help stop a lot of the air from below. The wife's happier and it does help. Good luck
+2
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 3:39 PM