Car locks

JUH
  • FORD EXPLORER
My 2000 ford explorer sport is having lock problems. My electrical locks do not work to unlock the hatch. What could be the problem
Wednesday, February 14th, 2007 AT 3:10 PM

M_H_RITZEL
Check the fuses. Replace if needed
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 8:42 PM
JUH
The fuses are not blown what else could cause the rear hatch lock not to work. Again this is a 2000 ford explorer sport v6 with 94000 miles.
Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 3:39 PM
M_H_RITZEL
Do you hear a clicking sound when you try to open the hatch electrically? Can you get the hatch to open with the key?
Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 4:43 PM
JUH
I do hear the clicking sond but the locks will not open by key. The hatch has never opened by key since I bought it used 2 years ago
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 2:14 PM
M_H_RITZEL
This may sound a little weird, but one time I had a hatch that would not open with the key or electric opener. I kept working the hatch until it opened, what I found that was causing my problem was a miss placed screw that had fallen down into the latch.
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 3:35 PM
BHUGG
First, electrically, all the door locks operate off the same circuit, so that if one door unlocks electrically, then they all should work.
But as you stated, it doesn't sound like an electrical problem.

Second, when you insert the key, does it turn? If it turns, it looks like there might be a linkage problem. You will need to open the door panel to investigate the problem.

You might want to invest in a repair manual available from your local auto parts store. The "Haynes" manual I have has some photos and diagrams of the liftgate panel removal and the locking mechanism and instructions on removing the panel and lock.

My "Chilton" manual does NOT have any diagrams of the liftgate assembly.
Thursday, February 22nd, 2007 AT 12:44 AM
BHUGG
If you like what we say, give us a vote of confidence.
Thursday, February 22nd, 2007 AT 12:46 AM