4X4 on Ford Explorer Does Not Work

MARCUM03
  • FORD EXPLORER
I have a 2002 4x4 Ford Explorer. The 4x4 does not work. None of the LED's (Auto, High, or Low) on the switch light up. With a volt meter, I checked to see if voltage was coming to the switch. It does & as the dimmer for the main lights are dimmed, the voltage is reduced accordingly. I accessed the switch was bad & replaced it. This was not the problem. No fuses are blown. A mechanic connected it to his scanner & got a code 735. This relates to 5th grear not being correct ratio. It has no 5th gear, but has an automatic transmission. He checked the grease in the crank case but levels were fine. It has only been
used once or twice but the last known time it worked, all was well. Just one day when I tried to engage it, all seems totally dead. Please advise what to look for next.

Terry
Saturday, July 29th, 2006 AT 5:47 PM

MIKEYBDMAN
I would check for power at the 4WD control module. You must select the 4WD on to check for power. The pins should be pin 8 and pin 17. These are the BK/WH and WH wires. This should be your power and ground pins. If do not have power, then find where you are loosing the ground or power.
If you have power to the conrol module, then there are a series of test that will need to be run to isolate the problem.
Saturday, July 29th, 2006 AT 7:11 PM
MARCUM03
When my mechanic connected his scanner to the SUV, it detected each position the switch was in (Manual, High, Low), only no lights come on or no reaction from the crank case.
Do you think the shift motor or sensor could be the problem?
Saturday, July 29th, 2006 AT 9:46 PM