2005 FORD EXPLORER ABS LIGHT ON

• intelligard
  • 2005 Ford Explorer

Brakes problem
2005 Ford Explorer 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 55K miles

My "ABS" and "ADVANCE TRAC" lights came on and stayed on, in the instrument panel. Furthermore, the "4x4 HIGH" light flashes on and off.

In addition, Prior to the herein describe problem, the brake pedal felt like the ABS was on, even on dry pavement and at low speed. Now, with all lights still on in the instrument panel, it seems that the onboard computer "OC" has disabled 4WD, ABS and Advance Track "AT"(which the OC is saying to service the AT) therefore am now driving 2WD. I even tried to turned off the truck and turned it on right away and it seems that the onboard computer is trying to reset itself (no light in the panel, but the pedal start to feel like the ABS is on (hissing pedal), however, after a few 100 yards of driving, I am back to square one (ABS and AT lights on and 4x4High light flashing with disabled function!)

Anyone has any ideal of what the problem might be?

I have purchase an OBD2 computer to verify what error code I might get. However did not yet received it!

Thanking you in advance for your help!

Saturday, March 22nd, 2008 AT 4:16 PM

• mastertechtim

Your abs activating and traction light are probably because of a faulty wheel speed sensor or hub bearing. You will need to check front hub bearings and you need a scan tool to read miles per hour to determine the bad wheel speed sensor.

Saturday, March 22nd, 2008 AT 6:59 PM
  • intelligard

Hello my friend,

Thanks for the reply.I did give a donation prior you answering this question.

I appreciate you taking the time! However, what kind of scan tool do I need to track the speed. And I have checked the hub bearings and seems to be OK.

One more thing, prior my getting all this light show in the panel. We had a major snow storm and I got really stuck with my truck. In trying to get out of my bad position (in my driveway) I was doing few forward / reverse scheme and when I was pressing the brake pedal it felt very weird like the pedal was pushing back at me and that the ABS WAS ON. Not long after that the light show started.

By the way, please have a look at my original post description. I did revise it and added more content.

Thank in a million

Saturday, March 22nd, 2008 AT 7:34 PM
  • mastertechtim

The cheapest scan tool that I know of is the otc genesys and it costs about 2000 dollars. It really sounds like you have a wheel speed sensor problem. I would start by checking wire harness at the wheels to see if a wire tore loose when the snow storm incident happened. Unfortunately after that theres not much you can do without a scan tool. The generic code readers will not read abs unfortunately.

Saturday, March 22nd, 2008 AT 7:44 PM
  • intelligard

I appreciate the prompted response.

I will leave this thread open till I find out what is the problem. Sometime next week I will know.

See ya later!

Regards.

Saturday, March 22nd, 2008 AT 7:54 PM
  • mastertechtim

Yeah definitely get back to us even if its in a week it will come up on my screen.

Saturday, March 22nd, 2008 AT 8:00 PM
  • merlin2021

You can check the sensors with an ohm meter, you should come up with a reading of 800-1400 ohms across the sensor, then to check the ring gears, switch the meter to volts, and have someone spin the wheel, you should get a reading, it will vary by wheel rotation speed. Mt Lincoln had the abs and trac light on when I bought it, and after I ohmed it, I found a shorted wire at the passenger side where the wires go thru the firewall.

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 8:13 AM
  • merlin2021

BTW you need a scanner that can read ABS codes these are "C" codes. There is one out there for laptops that costs about 250.00.

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 8:17 AM
  • intelligard

Great tips.I will definitely look into this!

Should you find the link, it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards.

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 8:25 AM
  • intelligard

Hello Guys,

Finally I did complete inspection of my ABS system, front and rear wheels. Using a volt meter, check all sensors. All seemed to be OK. So from that point on, check the ring gear on the back wheels.

There was one which was cracked and loose (passenger side).I replaced the ring and everything came back to normal.

Thanks for all your tips. It was definitely great help! I will use this service once again when I will need it!

Regards,

Jean
Montreal, QC, Canada :mrgreen:

Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 AT 3:39 PM
  • merlin2021

I knew me and Tim could do it! Great job!

Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 AT 4:27 PM