2003 Ford Explorer stuck in park

COSSP
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
Is the problem a brake pedal switch or
nuetral switch or stop light switch?
Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 8:36 AM

FLEXY5
The prake position switch sends a signal to a solenoid on either the column (for a column shift) or the shift tower (for a center console shift). You either have a bad switch or a bad shift interlock solenoid. If you lightly turn the key towards the ignition position, you will feel one position before everything turns on. Get the key to this position and with your foot on the brake, shift to neutral. Then you should be able to start the vehicle and shift from there. Shout back if you have any other questions.
Dave
+1
Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 10:20 AM
COWBOY DAVE
I had this happen on my 03 Explorer. It was a broken wire on the electrical connector that attaches to the brake switch. Very difficult to see. With a test light, confirm that you have 12 volts on one of the wires. If you do, short the two wires together. Check to see if you have brake lights, then start the truck to see if it solved the problem. If that worked, chances are you will need to clean or replace the brake switch. Also, there is an emergency bypass on the bottom of the steering column that you rotate counterclockwise to allow you to put a screw driver into it. With the vehicle running, and your foot on the brake, gently push a screw driver into the opening and move your shifter. At least you will be able to drive it home/to the shop. You will not have any brake lights until it's repaired. I simply spliced a new chunk of wire to the connector and am still running it. Good luck. Tracing electrical problems is the toughest part of any repair.
+3
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 1:44 PM