Shuts off while driving

CDGEXPLORER34
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
My 03 ford explorer eddie bauer shuts off while driving. It first happened about a month ago, then didn't do anything for a few weeks, then it happened on a Saturday and again a few days later. The car starts right up again and you can continue to drive without problems for the remainder of the ride. What could be causing this?
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 7:41 AM

If it starts right back up, chances are it is an electrical issue. Has the check engine light ever come on? I have seen the crankshaft angle sensor cause this issue when it starts to go out here is a guide that will help walk you through the repair with diagrams below to show you how on your car. When this sensor goes out it does not set a code.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
+1
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 10:12 PM
CDGEXPLORER34
No, the check engine light has never come on. I had our mechanic check out the car when we got it with his diagnostic and had a Ford diagnostic done for another problem, and no error messages have come up or lights on so I replace the sensor like you said and the truck has not stalled since I think we fixed it! Ya :)
-1
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 6:14 AM
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 8:05 AM
JOKERZ
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
This vehicle had a dead battery. 12v 337cca.
I repalced the battery.
Vehicle would then start and die immetiatley.
I replaced the spark plugs thinking that they were fuel fowled.
Vehicle would still start and die instantly.
The rpms rev up to 1200rpm then it just shuts off like the PAYS system is kicking in.
I used the IDS scan tool and performed a check for codes. None present.
I used the IDS and performed a PATS key erase and reprogam of the factory keys.
It says I perfomred that correctly.
The vehicle still starts and dies.
Has this happened to anyone before after a battery repalcement?
Any help would be appriacted.
Monday, February 25th, 2019 AT 2:15 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Have you check for fuel pressure yet?
JOKERZ
Thanks for the reply.
I checked fuel pressure. 50-60 psi at key on and during motor run time.
I also have spark (checked with an inline spark checker)
I noticed that the red light on the center of the dash flashes
when I put the key in the ignition, but it does not flash while the vehicle starts and dies.
ANTWOINE
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
Every time I drive my suv for a while I notice when I shut the engine off I hear a winding noise coming from the the driver side under the hood?
BILLYMAC
Hi this could be the iac motor retracting. The abs pump shutting down the air injection releaseing pressure. Just a thought billymac
NTC400
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
Not new problem, happening since vehicle almost new. Dealerships say "no idea".
If I brake hard (like in rush hour traffic), the vehicle will roll into neutral and/or stall the engine. I have to move the shift level into 'park' and then into 'drive' to get it to work again (after restarting the engine if it stalls).

Dealerships have 'no idea' and want to pull transmission apart to figure out what could be wrong. This, of course, will cost a lot and I don't know if that's the problem. The shift into 'park' and back into 'drive' has now worked for about 40,000 miles of the 77500.
Also, every once in awhile -- maybe once in about 2 or 3 months, I hear a loud "whooo, whooo, whooo" noise coming from what I think is the rear passenger side tire area. Any ideas?
MHPAUTOS
Hi there, thank you for the donation, Have you had a diagnostic scan done to check for any unresolved fault codes in the ECU as yet? Have you discussed this problem with a transmission specialist, as they may have come across it them selves.

NTC400
Seriously, is that your ANSWER? That was not at all helpful. Very disappointing website and service.
-1
MHPAUTOS
I am only trying to establish some basic information here, remember that I don't have the advantage of being able to even road test this problem that the dealer has given up on, this is obvious a problem that need to be investigated by a specialist who can at least view the faults first hand, the dealer will not have the same level of expertise that a specialist transmission shop will have, and as I said, a trans shop may have come across this before and may know the fix, The diagnostic scan will be an advantage as this may give you a code, I only need to know if this has been done, you cant presume that anything has been check or tested, you have not indicated any such testing as yet, Some of thees symptoms I have never come across such as the breaking issue, this does tend to indicate a problem with pressure changes with in the trans, once again testing with the appropriate equipment hooked up may show some problems, with these modern trans, you just can't afford to pluck a possible fault out of the air, you must get a full diagnostic test done first to have any chance of finding such faults, that is why I suggested this action first.

Mark
RSBROWN88
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
Everytime I turn on my air conditioning, my engine will stop running. What's going on?
SATURNTECH9
Does the belt squeal before it die's?Also with engine not running can you freely turn the center of your a/c compressor clutch?
RSBROWN88
No squeal, more like a loud pop or something. Immediately kills the engine. Any ideas?
SATURNTECH9
Here's what I asked you to try in my last post with engine not running can you freely turn the center of your a/c compressor clutch?
MSRENDON
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
While driving, noticed check gage. Oil needle dropped to low. Car died. Would start, no sound. Added 5qts motor oil( no oil). Now car sounds as it if wants to start, but wont turn over.
MSRENDON
Car would not start. Car had no oil. Now makes a sound as if it wants to start. But doesnt
ASEMASTER6371
You have damaged the engine internally from no oil and will most likely need a replacement engine installed

GEOFFREY
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
Engine stalls when cold at stops-V8. Once engine warms up idle low when stopping. Fuel filter changed 5 months ago at dealer?