2003 FORD EXPLORER FUEL INERTIA SWITCH

• TheBlueGoose
  • 2003 Ford Explorer

2003 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 47,000 miles

Hi, I'm having a little trouble with my Sport Trac. A few weeks ago, It didn't want to start so I did what any person with a little mechanical knowledge would do.I tried to eliminate the possibilities of where the problem could be. Turns out, I wasn't getting no fuel. I immediately thought it was my fuel pump but later remembered that I once had a Topaz that I crashed and didn't want to start later because the Inertia switch kicked on. I figured, ah, what the heck? I'll try and reset it and maybe that will solve my problems. Well, as soon as I did, she fired right up like nothing ever happened. Well today, I get in my truck and start reversing down my driveway, the truck shuts off again and doesn't want to start.I reset the inertia switch yet again, wondering if it would work for me a second time. And it did. My question is whats Happening that my fuel Inertia switch keeps tripping? Do I have a faulty fuel Pump? Or is it just the switch that needs replacing? Or am I waaay Off and it is something entirely different? Any Help would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 AT 1:22 PM

• bluelightnin6

Most likely culprit would be the inertia switch itself simply needs replaced

Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 AT 1:28 PM
  • Don Brand

In most cases, it is not the switch, it is the connector. It is overheated to the point of losing contact. If the damage it too severe, the switch contacts may also be damaged. I simply bypassed the whole thing to avoid future problems. Ford is about the only manufacturer who utilizes this device. Your choice, either replace the switch and connector or bypass and eliminate the problem all together.

Wednesday, June 1st, 2016 AT 12:47 PM