2001 Ford Explorer wheel or suspension

JMINKER51
  • 2001 FORD EXPLORER
I was trying to back up this vehicle 2001 ford explorer and it was like the brakes were locked on but upon further inspection I noticed the left front wheel was turned all the way in while the left front was straight. What has happenned and do I fix it?
Sunday, September 6th, 2009 AT 10:46 AM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model just the Explorer or the Sport or the Sport Trac and can you tell me your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN

Also you said your left front was turned in and your left front was straight. I assume you meant to say your right front was straight?

Does the pic below show how it is - The front end being the top of the pic

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_60.jpg

Sunday, September 6th, 2009 AT 4:27 PM
JMINKER51
Actually it was the r. Front was turned in and the left was straight. I believe it is a bad tie rod. But tell me what you think. Engine is 4.0 l
Sunday, September 6th, 2009 AT 5:41 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Yes I would have to say you are correct.A broken tie rod. Have you looked up under to see?

You will need your front end aligned once fixed if you are doing it yourself. You can install it and adjust it and look at the front of the vehicle and get it where the tire it is sitting pretty close straight to get it to the front end shop.

My big question is why/how did it break.I would look around very good. Was it turned too far out. Did it break at the joint itself. You need to figure that out also in case you have a defective part that made it go bad.
Sunday, September 6th, 2009 AT 11:19 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Recalls_38.jpg

Sunday, September 6th, 2009 AT 11:26 PM